wallasaki

May 23, 2002
New rider looking for premix advice. I know this has probably beeen discussed earlier, but I dont have time to look. '02 kdx 200 all stock. Using mc1 @ 40-1 w/ 693/94 oct. - way too much smoke. Anybody running stock w/out all the smoke? What do you use?? Thanks in advance.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I heard increasing the oil in the oil/gas rasio (ie going from 40:1 to 32:1) will make the bike run more lean. MMM, will this cause more oil to come from the silencer, having more oil?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
You're about 60 days behind me in this new-to-the-KDX gig. And the advice you received here & on the swingarm question is spot-on. By all means, even without swiss-cheesing the air box, etc, you will want to drop a size on the pilot and lower the needle a notch from the stock middle clip. I put in a 45 pilot & made the needle change, and the result is much cleaner at low speeds. And I don't look like a mosquito exterminator at my local riding place anymore. The oil/gas mix is less an issue, as others have noted - it's mostly jetting giving you the blue contrails.
Regarding your other post on the swingarm lube, I'm pleading with 'ya, take all the links apart, drop out the swingarm and do it all up. It is truly an easy job, especially when your bike is fairly new. Can offer detailed step by step if you want in PM.

Ken

Last edited:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Jetting is correct - the factories always run them rich do to product liabilty, only in rare situations would I change mixtures unless I'm changing from mineral to synthetic lubes

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
I was running 40:1 yamalube this winter due to the colder weather.(poor mans jetting)and never had a problem. Now the weather has warmed up drastically and I fouled two plugs on start-up. I went back to 32:1 and no more fouling. My 0.02, your too rich- Mix at 32:1 or re-jet for 40:1 Recommendations for a start-point...wish I could help you. Good luck.

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Thanks to all!!! Just ordered my kdx factory manual($30!!), gonna take an evening an lube everything. Will report back w/my experience.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
wallasaki:

The manual is a good start. You will learn a lot from others here. One word of advice: :| DO A SEARCH :| before asking questions like this. Most of the basics have been gone over many times and the search function works fantastic. You will find that experienced people will be much more tollerant of you if you do a search first and then ask a question. Do not state that you "don't have time to look ..."

A good starting point for your KDX200 jetting would be what i was running with my stock engine & carb set up:

Jetting (stock PWK 35mm carb): Main 155, Pilot 45 and 2nd clip position

This is with an FMF KG35 pipe (torque pipe) and boyseen 607 reeds with the air box lid removed. For relatively little $$ you will see a nice performance gain. :D

I usually order my jets & needles from SUDCO but you can get them elsewhere and at most motorcycle shops. I noticed that Fredette has jets listed on his site.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out. :cool:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
I got mine at a local dealer who carried aftermarket jets, not sure what brand they were. Your friendly Kaw dealer will of course have them, but the price is about 3x SUDCO, CarbParts, etc. I plan to order a set of mains, pilots, and a few needles from SUDCO to cover any likely jetting needs, since a pipe & reeds are in my future plans. Just need to find time to sit down & make a list of what those might be.

Might want to read CDave's jetting primer HERE. Don't underestimate the importance of the air screw - minor adjustments (like 1/8 turn or so), can make big difference.

Lot of tuning & jetting discussions on this forum. Trying to glean basic information can be a bit like taking a sip of water from a fire hydrant, ;) , but I am finding as I learn more it has greater relevance.

Have fun.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I know this has probably beeen discussed earlier, but I dont have time to look.

Good luck when it comes to jetting with that kinda start.....

From KelvinKDX:
You will find that experienced people will be much more tollerant of you if you do a search first and then ask a question. Do not state that you "don't have time to look ..."

Some of us less experienced peeples will be more tolerant, too.

Just a suggestion....dittoed

re: jetting 'materials' (I take to mean brass?)

Sudco 1-800-998-3529

They sell by keihin numbers. I don't know if they'd sell you an '1174L' or not. Don't think so.

Needles? Taper º? Magic number? Leaner pilot w/ smaller diameter L1?

All sorts of things to look up, or at least give it a shot.

Jetting is your problem. Not premix ratio.

Take a look at the archive posts (toward the bottom of the main board list), 'Emergency RB jetting..' JD says a lot of things every rider should know.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=19686

See? Some things you get even WITHOUT asking for them!! edit** Of course, this isn't necessarily a good thing. You know what they say about opinions...and free advice may well be worth every penny!

This post notwithstanding!! ;)

Cheers! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom