Street Legal KDX ?

KDXJP

May 21, 2002
There is a few times I want to ride in the street! can the KDX200 be street legal? Is there a kit?

rvguy

May 31, 2002
Check with your local motorcycle inspection shop. They usually know.
Here in NH, you only need a working brake light, left mirror and some kind of horn. I'm sure most states are similiar.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Hey D.B.D.,

Can you post a little more info about what you did to make the KDX's street legal in California? Did you actually get license plates for them? Was the DMV process a pain in the butt? What year were the bikes?

I'm asking because I thought you couldn't make a 2-stroke (other than something like a moped) street legal in California. I'd love to do it to mine if it's not too hard.

Thanks!

--EBOD

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
EBOD - street legalizing a green sticker 2 stroke in CA is exactly the same process as doing a dirt only green sticker four stroke (which I have also done). If your bike has a red sticker or should have a red, it is technically illegal to get aplate. You may be able to find a way (others have), but its not as easy and you will be in a gray area at best.

My bikes were a '90 KDX200 and a '91 KDX250, I know others who have also street legalized KDX's.

Basically, you install the Baja kit (cost about $400 and takes 6 hours or so). Then you haul the bike and a DMV form known as a 'statement of facts' to a state certified lighting inspection station (most repair shops and dealers are state certified). For a small fee ($10 or so) the shop will briefly inspect the bike and sign the statement of facts. If you get the baja kit, the statement of facts is completed in advance and itemizes some of the things that make the bike street legal. In California, this includes having a battery that will allow the tail light to stay lit for awhile (15 minutes?) with the engine off. The shop may or may not test this. BTW, I have never (3 bikes) had the inspection shop check if my knobbies were DOT approved.

Then you bring the signed statement of fact and your registration/pink slip to the DMV (you DO NOT need to bring the bike to the DMV). Most likely the person helping you will not know how to complete the paperwork, so be patient while they figure it out. Not all DMV's are created equal - if you know of a competent DMV, go to that one. You will pay for street registration and they will give you a plate right then. You will have the option of keeping your dirt (green sticker) registration, if you still want to pay for it.

FWIW, your stock KDX lighting coil does not produce enough power to keep the DOT lights on all the time and to keep the battery charged. You can have the stator rewound for more power, or add a seperate on/off switch to the headlight to save the battery power for when you need it.

Hope this helps. It is possible to save a little money designing your own system and assemblig the parts, but CA has a lot of requirments, and when you look at how much time it takes to make your own, the complete Baja kit is not a bad deal.

Dave

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Thanks Dave,

My main reason to do a kit would have been to get around the Green vs. Red sticker issue. You can ride a street-legal bike (with plates) even during Red Sticker season. My quest for year-round legality has been dealt a temporary set back, but I will eventually find a way!!

While my riding area is not yet enforcing the Red Sticker season, I am losing lots of sleep worrying about it.

KDXJP

May 21, 2002
Thanks for the input. I have an idea what to do. When I get my plates I'll post the steps I took to get it STREET LEGAL! I live in Ohio so it sounds like there will be less hassle then dealing with CA. Laws.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…