gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Hey guys, I was puting a new top end last week and tried to clean out the KIPS but the bolts acted like they were stuck. I soaked in wd-40 and still no movement. Finally i got most unscrewed but in the process I striped on of the hex bolt that removes the gear rod. It is a little black hex bolt at the front of the cylinder. I dont know what it is called. Please help me remove this bolt. I dont know what to do to get it off. If someone does help me get it off I will replace it with a new OEM bolt or rod. Please help!!!1

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Those bolts are called valve rod plugs and are in tight! use a 5mm(metric) allen wrench of good quality and you will get a better grip. Also be careful when removing the nut on the pinion gear(if you dont support the main shaft you can break a tooth on the pinion gear or the exhaust valve rod $$$)
good luck!

gymrat86

Dec 20, 2005
Valve rods

Hey man, if I could use a 5mm metric allen wrench on it i would but it is completly rounded out. What is another way that I can get it out?

trevor morgan

Mar 15, 2005
A crude way would to be to use a pair of vice grips but if it is really tight you would end up in a worse mess. The proper way would be to buy or borrow an extractor kit. This would involve you drilling a fresh, clean hole with the drill provided and then you hammer in the extractor and all being well it will come out. This is what I have done in the past and it works 90% of the time. As a last resort its cylinder off, drill out and retap.

Top Bottom