Stripped chain adjuster nut help!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys my 01' RM 250 has a stripped retainer nut on the chain adjustment bolt. I've tried everything I can think of to get it off, and theres not really enough room to cut it off with a hacksaw. Any tips/ticks/advice on how to get it off? The nut is pretty much destroyed so at this point I will try anything, thanks! :cool:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
The nut is stripped or is the bolt stripped inside the swingarm? If its just the nut pull the axle, then screw the bolt out and replace with new bolt and nut.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
on my old 88 cr i just used a die grinder and ground the nut into a square

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
The nut that holds the bolt in place is stripped out inside the swingarm. I managed to turn the bolt though, so if i totally unscrew the bolt the nut should just come off with it? Hopefully I get the darn thing off!!!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
lmidden said:
it needs replacing use vise grips they work great to get screwed up bolts out i use them all the time on everything

I'll bet yu gots a big-azz hammer too. :whoa: :coocoo:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
1998RM250 said:
The nut that holds the bolt in place is stripped out inside the swingarm. I managed to turn the bolt though, so if i totally unscrew the bolt the nut should just come off with it? Hopefully I get the darn thing off!!!

If you are talking about where the adjuster bolt screws into the swingarm, this is a very common problem. The lack of maintainance is usually what causes it. It is necessary to remove those bolts once in a while and lube them with anti-seize compound and replace them. If you don't take the time to do that, oxidation will form around the bolt and it will seize.

To repair it correctly usually involves taking the swingarm to a machinist and having the bolt milled or drilled out of the swingarm and then either chasing the thread or repairing it with a heli-coil. You can try drilling it out yourself but, be very careful to center the drill. Drilling it off-center or crooked will only add to your problems.

Taking the time to do regular maintainance on your bike will prevent things like this from happening in the first place. :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
lmidden said:
no if a bolt is stuck on mine i use a 10ton press

:whoa: Why am I not surprised???? :coocoo: :rotfl:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom