'00KX250er

May 2, 2005
I had my local bike shop look at my motor('00 kx250)today. I wanted to see if the tech could install a heli-coil to fix my stripped drain plug hole. It could not be done. I had to spend $400 for two case halves....For those of you who do not know when to stop turning the drain plug, please get a manual and torque wrench. Just felt like venting....... :(

KX04

May 29, 2005
wow there is something you could of done i am sure of it
it might take some modifications but it could be done with out buying new cases

Oct 10, 2004
ya man you were just ripped off for 2 cases you probably could have gotten away with some industrial strength JB weld used as a thread repair that or an expanding rubber drain plug

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Had the same problem with my 98. Actually I cracked mine. The local shop said it couldn't be fixed. Took it to a semi local race shop and he fixed me up. A little welding went a long way. Thanks again to HDR :cool: . Saved me so much money welding it, I had them add a bigbore kit with porting. :aj:

'00KX250er

May 2, 2005
I knew that it could be done other ways but i wanted it done right......I'm getting a ported head from Eric and want the rest of the bike tight. I know 2 of the guys at the shop personnally and they offered the jb weld and the other fixes as well. One has a 00 cr 250 and took a chance on a heli-coil, so far it works great......

I bought the bike like that and was wanting to give shoppers a heads up.....

AST

May 5, 2003
I had the same exact bike and the same exact problem..Had mine heli coiled about 3 years ago and the mechanic installed a bigger drain bolt.Problem fixed and never have had another problem with it.

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
There are special plugs that are tapered to fit into stripped drain holes. They have threads that go from fine to course (or vise versa), and the plug itself has a slight taper to it where it widens toward the bolt side. It kindof wedges itself into the stripped hole, and it can be re-used forever if you are careful when you put it in the first time. I can't remember where I saw these, but they make several sizes for cars, bikes, etc.. This is too late for you '00KX250er, but someone else who reads this may find it helpful. Hope it helps. -Todd

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Heli-coil or Heli-arc.

If the threads are only stripped a heli-coil will work. It the drain hole is broken, it can be welded with a heli-arc and rethreaded and resurfaced for much less than the cost of new cases. Most times the engine does not even have to be taken apart.

Just my $ .02

Top Bottom