Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
AAAHHHH!!! Dropped the engine out of my XR400 last night in preparation of splitting the cases to replace my shift shaft. Got the head off and now working on the jug. I managed to round off the head of one of the head bolts (yea I know "I'm screwed").

Any suggestions? I can't really get a punch in there to try to tap it around as it is counter sunk. My old man has an impact wrench, if I can find metric impact sockets should I try that? or will I just round it off more?

Obviously, I can't get a torch in there.

Would an "easy out" work? I'm sure these bolts are hardedned so I'd hate to bust up an easyout trying to get this dang thing loose.

Help!

HLT

Sponsoring Member
Dec 15, 2000
If you weren't already, try a 6 point socket. You may have to tap it onto the nut with a hammer. With an impact set on low torque, this will usually get it if not rounded too badly. Otherwise get one of those tools that will split the nut off the stud. Sears has 'em.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
The nut splitter( i inadvertantly did one this past weekend :D ) won't work because the bolt head is recessed. Try a 9/16. it is the english equivalent of the 14mm ( I believe that is the size you'e dealing with,if it's a 12mm, yep, you're screwed:D ). It is just a bit smaller than 14mm so it actually fits better. the 6-pointw impace on low is a good idea (just use a9/16). Good luck

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey got it!

Used the impact wrench and theycame right off. I had to grind down the socket as it was too wide to fit in the countersunk holes but it worked

Ordered the replacement bolts today OEM is over $8 each!

Top Bottom