rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I went too take off my radiator shroud and the bolt that goes into the gas tank spins freely.. DOes anybody have any reccomendations on how too fix this??
Thanks in advance,
RIck

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Can you mix up some 2 part epoxy and get it in there without getting it on the threads also? Maybe use a toothpick or a cut down popsickle stick to push it around the outside? Let it set real good and then try to remove?

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Ok, I know this one...
Check your nutzert, it's hexagonal (six sided), Yamaha uses four sided inserts because it's less likely to spin loose. The angle between each side is 90º instead of 60º.

I took my tank to a plastic welder, and he filed down two of the six sides, thereby creating a rectangular insert which is much less likely to spin.
It cost me two bucks, and it hasn't spun since.

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
I did the 'ol JB Weld thing to fix one on a YZ80. It's held fine for three years.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Problem is the radiator shrouds are in the way, i'm thinking i may have too cut out the shrouds perhaps??

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I used a needle nosed vise grip and held the nut and broke the bolt loose. Had to do some digging with my dremel tool to give me the space to get a good bite with. As long as you don't go to deep you will be ok. The nut is a lot deeper than you need to go. Just stay close to the nut. After i got the bolt loose I created a rectange for the rectanged nut on the YZ and CAREFULLY filled in the space between the nut and the tank with JB weld. I always use antiseize on these bolts now.

Good Luck,
Jim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom