Stripped threads for Power Valve Cover.

YZNewbie

Uhhh...
Nov 19, 2001
I just replaced the oil seal for thewater pump and while tightening one of the bolts for the power valve cover I noticed it was a bit stiffer than the others. I kept tightening, I didnt think it was too hard but apparently it was because the bolt snapped in half :mad: . I retreived the bolt and tried another one. This one was also tight....*yes I stopped before this one broke*.

The only thing I can think of is that the threads in the engine block are stripped?... What options do I have? :think I thought I could just get a smaller bolt, tighten it as much as I can and just try to use gasket sealer but I thought it would be best if I asked you guys first...

Thanks
YZNewbie

Last edited:

Showtime_144

May 21, 2001
It could be oil or some other liquid in the hole preventing it from going in all the way, because you can't compress a liquid so you would either break the cylinder or the bolt which ever ones weaker.:think

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Before you go any further, I would get a tap exactly the same dimension as the bolt. Keep turning the tap in part way, then removing it until it goes all the way in.
Perhaps the threads are just grunged up.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
if the bolt was a factory bolt and had an 8mm head, then the threads are 6mmX1.0. Get a tap this size and pitch. Run it in the hole. It will clean up any threads that have been crossthreaded. If the hole is completely stripped ( doesn't sound like it, otherwise the bolt would just keep turning

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Be very careful with the tap. They are very brittle and break easy. They can handle some torque but don't apply any off-center force. Go in a little, back it out, in a little more, etc. Use some light oil. Blow the chips out if you have compressed air. Take your time - if you break it you will become upset.

By the way, there are different kinds of taps - some have a long taper to make them easy to start, but they won't tap all the way to the bottom of the hole. "Bottoming taps" will tap closer to the bottom of the hole but are harder to start.

If the threads are stripped, you can probably install a Heli-coil or other kind of insert. Not a huge deal, but you might want some help if you've never done one before.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…