stripping and painting a rusty exhaust pipe.

68b_body

Jan 24, 2008
i went out and bought some Klean Strip rust remover to remove the surface rust of my FMF pipe.

it was a bare metal finish not chrome or painted. i used a scotch brite pad and a lil brass brush to remove all the surface rust. then i applied the kleen strip and let set for 10 minutes.

this stuff worked great. took it back to the natural steel finish. i preped the surface then painted it with dupli-Color high heat ceramic engine paint http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html
now i never used engine/header paint before so i dont know how well it will hold up.

City Hunter

Feb 8, 2008
I just did the same thing on my ct1 dt175, but I used a wirewheel instead, but the same paint, seems to be holding up nicely so far, but I havent ridsden the bike due to bad seals.

68b_body

Jan 24, 2008
that kleen strip rust remover is some pretty good stuff. there wasnt any rust left on the pipe after i was done.

City Hunter, so the paint hasen't been flaking off when the pipe gets hot?

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
i wire brushed mine and painted it a while back, turned out good and has held up nicely, except for when my supposed friend laid it down the first day out

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…