JunkmanDT250

Feb 25, 2008
On my 70 DT250 I cant seem to get the trans to shift into neutral. I have the clutch adjusted and it seems to pull normal but it is stuck in gear. No matter what i do the shifter wont disengage. I even checked on my other bike to see what it should feel like, but the shift lever on the 70 moves back and forth but no distinct click to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Most likely an internal spring is broke on the shift mechanism. Time to take the right side cover off and see if any pieces are laying in there...

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Can't say for sure, haven't seen that bike in years. Generally it's an easy job to pull the side cover off. Be careful around the kick starter so you don't lose any pieces. If your lucky it will be a broken spring that you can replace. If not you may have to split the cases to get to the heart of the problem. Good luck...

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
Junkman, your problem is probably in with the shift mech on the right side, before you pull it apart there is a bolt on the bottom of the case left of the dranplug on your 70 it should use a screwdriver, remove it a spring and a short rod with a rounded end should come out. If the spring is busted or the rod is missing it can get stuck between gears.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've had a shift shaft return spring pop out of place on an old bike before (not a DT, though). The spring did not break, but it had a lot of room to move around over the shift shaft and had slid out of place. I was able to fit a washer over the shift shaft, between the spring and the right side cover, which helped the spring stay in place.

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
let me check my pile and I will get back to you, but you probably found the problem. I have a 71 that has the same problem.

JunkmanDT250

Feb 25, 2008
Ok I figured it out. After I removed the side cover I found that the shift mechanism had become disconnected due to a missing clip that had allowed the shift shaft to move. I replaced the clip and it shifts now. My only question is about the rod and spring under the plug. I removed one from a junk engine I had in the garage and installed it. we shall see what happens when I fire it up. Now all I have to do is figure out why the carb and petcock are leaking. Thanks for all the help :cool:

outlawgrafyx

Feb 9, 2008
JunkmanDT250 said:
Ok I figured it out. After I removed the side cover I found that the shift mechanism had become disconnected due to a missing clip that had allowed the shift shaft to move. I replaced the clip and it shifts now. My only question is about the rod and spring under the plug. I removed one from a junk engine I had in the garage and installed it. we shall see what happens when I fire it up. Now all I have to do is figure out why the carb and petcock are leaking. Thanks for all the help :cool:

i just opened up the petcock on my '73. there was so much gink in there no wonder that i was having gas problems... i just tightened the petcock "bowl" pretty tight and that stopped the problem.

is your carb leaking out the bottom or out of the bowl or out of overflow???

mine leaked out the bowl cuz i had no gasket, but i think if your main jet bolt isnt on too tight it will leak

JunkmanDT250

Feb 25, 2008
The carb leak was because the jet in the float bowl was stripped out, now I have to find another bowl or try and repair the one I have. I will try tightening the petcock bowl and see if that fixes the leak.

outlawgrafyx

Feb 9, 2008
JunkmanDT250 said:
The carb leak was because the jet in the float bowl was stripped out, now I have to find another bowl or try and repair the one I have. I will try tightening the petcock bowl and see if that fixes the leak.

that sucks...i had my needle jet setter strip out...you should ask pryor. he has a lot of parts for our bikes

Top Bottom