guggie

Mar 3, 2003
...or mud. I am fairly new to dirtbiking and some of the trails i go through have major mud on them. Often my rear tire just washes out and i go down. It actually makes my ride more enjoyable because I laugh my a$$ off everytime I go down in the mud. I dont know what to do to keep from slipping, I try to keep my revs down and lean back but I still fall. Should I go through it faster, I usually hit it at the top of 1st gear. Thanks for the help.

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
You can try putting it in a higher gear, which will cause less spin... but I think it just boils down to getting used to being in the mud. It's more a grasp of how to handle the slippage and compensate for which direction the bike's going. So I say just keep doing it, and you'll learn what works & what doesn't work for you :)

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
Its hard to tell some one that you need to go a little faster but some times that’s all it takes to keep the tires cleaned out, also try a lower tire pressure. good luck! and you got the right attitude keep it fun.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I tried riding on a REALLY muddy grasstrack about a month after I started riding. Man was that an experience! Sliding around everywhere on my XR200. Never got above 2nd gear! Wow! Now that I have more experience and confidence and can go faster and smoother on the trails, I'd like to give it a try again. Just don't make me do it all the time! :scream:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
you may want to try a set of trials tyres ?! .. Patman may have a suggestion ?

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
what are trials tires gonna do. make his flywheel heavier? (maybe youll get it)
soften the suspension clickers front and rear and let a little air outta the tires that easy fixins

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Try it standing up. It lowers your center of gravity by putting the weight on the pegs and you can let the bike move around under you without your body get thrown around.

Feb 19, 2001
Make sure tires are in excellent condition (front tire most important).

Run 15 psi air in the front, and 13 psi in the rear.

A brand new set of tires is the best bang for the buck to improve the
handling in all conditions.

Also make sure the rear suspension is set up correctly for your weight.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Some riders in more wet climates do better with a trails tyre over a knobby tyre - I know of a case where a guy riding a WR426 switched to trials tyres and says he will never switch back - some trials tyres offer better traction in wet, snotty, and muddy conditions. I was hoping someone with trials experience would put in their 2c !

I was thinking of switching to trials tyres myself once the Pamp's knobbies wear out ...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom