Stuck with size/age/ability problems,,,85/125 advice

FnIGUY

Apr 2, 2005
My 14 year old, 5'4 and 110/115 lbs is a really aggressive rider. We ride pretty tight Mx tracks every Sunday and a fast medium terrain large pasture track during the week. He has a TTR 125 right now that he has completely mastered and abused. He rides my yz125 great in the open pasture/grass track but the weight of the YZ kicks his butt in loose corners and he really cant throw it around in the air. He admits that it is too heavy for him.

I can get him a nice 04 kx85 for a good price. Do you think that would get him thru this Summer and allow him to learn the correct cornering and jumping skills to move to the YZ.

Would a yz85 be a better choice since it requires a little more thottle control to stay on the pipe?

I really wont be wasting any money on the 85 because my 11 year old might take it over, even though I am building his TTR125 into a full BBR equipped Cross Country bike. He seems to be a natural 4stroke thumper lover.

I hate this too big/too little delimma.

Oh if a new bike is suggested it has to be Blue or Yellow as that is what we sell.

crazy_man

N. Texas SP
Mar 2, 2005
what about a kx\rm 100, sounds perfect for his size and weight, there pretty light too

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
AT 5'4" the 85 would be a stop gap at best. It would definatley be a little easier for him to learn on but I'm guessing more than a few laps around the track on your 125 and he won't want to ride anything else.

lithium

Apr 10, 2005
Yeah, Yz 125s can be peaky and kind of heavy, i weigh 140 and im 14. I will admit if you dump the bike and your in the mud on a trail or something its hard to get back up.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I say get one a little bigger and let him grow into it. You guys ride alot and he seems to be agggresive. At this age let him go and he will advance quickly. There's something about riding a bigger bike (not "too" much bigger than your abilities/size) that makes you learn to be a better rider.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…