PaCR250

May 10, 2000
Does anyone know the name of a Studded tire maker? I was informed by a local dealer that Treleborg went out of business but sold their molds, is anyone else making them yet? If anyone has a used 19 laying around, that would be ok too! Getting cold here and I don't want to park the bike for the winter.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I read that WER was going to be the N American distributor/dealer for the new trellies. I don't see anything about it on the WER site though.:think

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The molds were sold to Mitas (formerly Barum) in the Czech Republic. You could also try HERE. They use Bridgestone tires and are slightly cheaper than the old Trellie's. There is another place out there that is even cheaper, but I heard they use Cheng Shin tires. Don't know the link either.

Personally I'm going for the Kenda Ice Master's with Kold Cutter screws and sticking to frozen water.

BTW - Where in NY do you live?

tonyr

Feb 15, 2000
I was at my local dealer this afternoon and looked thru a new MOTO-RACE catolog and they had a picture of a Michelin S-12 studded with what looked like Trelleborg style carbide studs. It did say they were carbide studs, but gave no info other than that. I didn't think at the time to write down the phone #, but maybe they are on the web. Haven't checked yet, but I willl.

PaCR250

May 10, 2000
Thanks for all the info. The dealer I spoke to has some made by a guy outside of Pittsburgh and are Bridgestone tires but that's all he gave me, they were $184 for a rear and the spikes were about half what the old trelle's are.

Woods, I live on the NY/Pa border, just outide of Elmira. We ride in Pa, Private MX track, built last spring and 8 going on 15 miles of HS.

tonyr

Feb 15, 2000
More information on the Michelin studded tires. this is the email reply I got this morning.

The Michelin winter tires are on the way. Michelin has now developed a
special winter compound tire to work in freezing conditions with studs.
There will be three different sizes one 21", 19" & 18". They cost
$270.00 for the front and $295.00 for the rear. They have had great
reviews over the testing last winter. They should be available early
November.
Best regards,
Motorace

the new Trelleborg dist. on the east coast is WER.

EK

Dec 3, 2000
If you want good traction on slippery stuff, here are some options:

1) Buy a Michelin X-11 trials tire - they stick like glue, on greasy clay, roots, wet rocks, snow covered rocks - anything slippery and slimey. The only downside is that they don't work so well in deep snow. [Cost $120]

2) Go to your local hardware store and buy some sheet metal screws with the hex heads and screw them in your knobs. This works better than the trials tire in the deep snow. They do not work well on rocks. [Cost $5]

I have also had a regular knobby tire studded by a tire shop. I was underwhelmed. The trials tire outperformed it everywhere.

For my winter riding, light snow (<4 inches), ice, rocks, greasy mud, slime and slop the Michelin X-11 trials tire absolutely BLOWS everything else away (including Dunlop 756 & 739, Michelin S-12 & H-12, Bridgestone ED-78 and the IRC iX05H nobbies). It sticks so well you will not believe it. :eek:

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

Top Bottom