Stupid Coolant change question

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Forgive me in advance for this stupid question. I dont have the factory service manual yet. The little owners manual that came with the bike has instructions on how to change coolant, which I followed. However, I just noticed while flipping through the manual that in the section on break-in, it mentions bleeding the air out of the coolant system after a change. But there are no directions on how to do this in the owners manual.

So, I searched this site and found that there is a nut on the top of the cylinder that is used the bleed the system. I think i found the nut mentioned. So, do I start the bike, and then open up the nut to bleed the system? If not, how do I bleed the air out of the coolant system?

This is the first liquid cooled bike I have ever been around.

Thanks. :)

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
After you pour in the coolant (slowly, so as not to trap air unnecessarily) loosen the screw to let the air out until coolant starts coming out. That's it for the screw. Then start the engine with the radiator cap off and run it until you don't see any more bubbles coming up in the radiator. Tap or flex the hoses around a little to free up any trapped air while you're doing this. Fill as necessary during this process (when finished, up to the filler neck). That's it (besides filling the reserve tank).

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Well, I went and opened up the little scew to let air out, but coolant never came out. So I took off the radiator cap and started the bike. Air bubbles came up and out for a few minutes. I shut the bike off and put the cap back on. After that, I started it up again and went for a quick 10 minute ride. Everything seemed fine. When I got back, the overflow tank was still full. Tomorrow morning I will take the cap off and fill up as needed.

I hope I did this all ok. Dont wanna destroy my bike a week after buying it!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom