KTM 450 EXC Coolant Leak Urgent Help!??

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
Hi. I just bought myself a KTM 450 EXC 2003 model however I was doing regular maintenance on the bike including topping up fresh coolant. I followed the owners manual completely however when I went to bleed the cooling system...it told me to undo a bolt which I did but coolant started pissing out and may have gone into a hole that was located on the Cylinder. And i fear that the coolant may have gotten into the piston/cylinder. The bike would not start at all after that. I want to know what damage it may have caused AND what the hole is/does?
I have posted a picture of the exact hole and the exact bolt I needed to undo from the owners manual.

ktmcoolanthole.jpg

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Don't panic. If you feel there has been coolant introduced into the cylinder, drain your oil and inspect the fluid. If there is any signs of coolant, remove your spark plug and crank the engine thru for a short time. If you don't see any coolant, finish the proceedure and go ride.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yammieman said:
and may have gone into a hole that was located on the Cylinder. And i fear that the coolant may have gotten into the piston/cylinder. The bike would not start at all after that. I want to know what damage it may have caused AND what the hole is/does?
]

Yammieman. That hole is there to drain any water or dirt from the spark plug cavity. As long as the sparkplug is in place, coolant can't get into your engine through that hole. Nothing to worry about.

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
Ok cool :) thanks for that ol89er. I had smoke coming from that area around the cylinder though. What would that smoke of been though...coolant burning from the spark plug or something?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yammieman said:
What would that smoke of been though...coolant burning from the spark plug or something?

Most likely. You should have been able to smell the coolant. Burning coolant has a distinct smell to it.

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
ahh ok... nah didn't really pay attention to the smell...shut the bike off straight away when i saw it. would it of done any damage?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
yammieman said:
would it of done any damage?
No, not if it was only coolant burning off.

Top Bottom