Stupid question about the side stand

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
My beloved previous owner, in addition to leaving the side stand loose so the holes oblonged, also went in there (for reasons only known to him) and drilled a bunch of holes into that mounting point. There is also damage to the swingarm, so I can only guess they thought they could put a screw or something through there and pin the side stand in place, which of course failed badly.

So I am going to have to break out the oxy acetylene and fill in the mess in the side stand bracket.

My question is if those are just simply two round holes that match the mounting points on the swingarm, or if they have any funny shapes or were oblong from the factory for some reason. I don't know why they would be, but wanted to get back as close to stock as possible.

Thanks!

jonooffler

Jun 10, 2009
Hi I would be very careful before "breaking out the oxy acetylene " the ally swinging arm will melt like most women when they see me ( in my dreams ) I think if it's that bad I would try to find a replacement before trying to mend it.
Ally need to be reheat treated once it has been worked on ,The thought of having one side weaker than the other would worry me a bit.
Jono KDX220

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I think he was talking about filling in the excess holes in the sidestand's steel mounting bracket.

reepicheep said:
So I am going to have to break out the oxy acetylene and fill in the mess in the side stand bracket.

Mud

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, I'm not good enough to weld aluminum yet, though it can be done with Oxy Act. Its the side stand mounting plate, which is all (very thick) steel.

Though I have had "better luck then I expected" with that aluma-weld stuff. I rebuilt a mirror mount on a KLR-250 (retapping and everything) with the stuff, and it held up very well over time.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
reepicheep said:
My question is if those are just simply two round holes that match the mounting points on the swingarm, or if they have any funny shapes or were oblong from the factory for some reason. I don't know why they would be, but wanted to get back as close to stock as possible.

Thanks!
The front hole is 12.4mm the rear hole is an oval 12.4 x 13.5 and that's from the factory not wear. That's on my 2006 model.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Two observations...

1) You guys rock! Thanks for posting yet another picture and set of measurements to try and help me restore my KDX basket case.

2) My previous owner put on some other side stand.

Thanks!

Top Bottom