srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I am getting ready to travel 350 miles to get a 2006 YZ125 for my son this weekend. On previous trips to other cycle shops, I have brought home the wrong product. Some occassions it has been because I didn't know what I was supposed to bring home and sometimes because the guy at the shop had no clue. Example, I asked for Yamalube. I ended up with 4 stroke instead of 2 stroke, how was I supposed to know there were two kinds? I asked for REAR brake pads, guy gave me front pads. I questioned the package that said FRONT and he told me it was universal. (I didn't take them)Like I said, Stupid woman here.

My question is, how do I know I am bringing home an '06 model? Are there certain numbers in the VIN I should look for? Traveling this far I do not want to screw this up.

Thanks.
Susan

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
If I remember correctly it's the 10th digit of the vin, and the number should be 6, because after 2000 they started using numbers for it. Before 2000 they would use letters to designate the year, like S for 1995.

Heres a list of the digits:

90=L
91=M
92=N
93=P
94=R
95=S
96=T
97=V
98=W
99=X
00=Y
01=1
02=2
03=3
04=4
05=5
06=6

I think is how it goes.

Oct 13, 2005
If you don't trust your dealer, change dealers. If I were you I would also like to inspect the bike and have the sales person go over the bike and owners manuel with you before you take delivery of your bike.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
It's minimal.... but the 2006 Yamaha "wing" in the shroud graphics is high up on the radiator shroud, through the top shroud hole. Also the tuning fork sticker is on/in the white of the wing on the 2006. The 2005 wing was low and through the bottom shroud hole, and the tuning fork is up top all alone on the blue of the shroud (see below).

Also, the 2006 has an all new front number plate (flat across the top, not rounded in like the 2005). The 2006 front fender is also a new design.

I know these are small, the VIN is the best way to check, but these are other things you can eye up. Also, when you sign the paperwork, just make sure that everything with the WIV number listed also says 2006 (for example, the bill of sale and certificate of origin).

Below are photos of the 2006 (top) and 2005 (bottom):

Attachments

• 2006 yz.jpg
    2006 yz.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 2005 yz.jpg
    2005 yz.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 252

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Thanks for the tips!!!
This is actually a trade between dealers. Our local dealer is 100 miles from us. I can't really just find a new dealer.
Just found out that this one is still in the crate and the dealer we are headed to is supposed to already have all the paperwork, etc, to our local dealer. I will pick it up tomorrow and deliver it to our dealer who will set it up for me for free in the afternoon. Looks like we will be hittin' the river Sunday!!!
Thanks everyone!
Susan

2-Strokedness

Oct 24, 2005
Wish my mum saw and looked up to Motocross the way you do, my mam only brings me to the bikeshop for a quick perv, one day eh...:boss:
Stupid, nahh you mean ****ing tops out this world mum, your son should be grateful.

Top Bottom