Subtank -would it work for this situation ?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
I just read the great thread on subtanks and am wondering if a modification of the idea would work in my situation. My KDX with it's stock wimpy 35.5 fork springs is fantastic in really nasty rocky -ledgy terrain. Unfortunately at any higher speeds it becomes downright dangerous with the front end tucking in one situation and washing out in the next. Installing .38 springs completely transforms the bike into a quite stable high speed ride, but now it's a handfull in the slow rocky stuff with the stiffer fork. Well, I need a way to quickly switch from one mode to the other. I'm envisioning using a somewhat larger volulme subtank, reinstalling the 35.5 springs ,then adding air [increasing the air spring rate] to the system when I want to go fast. This could be done in 60 sec with a small bike hand pump. OR - maybe I could keep the .38 springs and with the subtank the decreased air spring rate would make the front forks much softer [compliant]in the rocks. Any thoughts & feedback would be appreciated

Top Bottom