summer cross country trip; give me your rides!

SCOOBY450

Apr 13, 2007
i am going back home to michigan this summer and will be riding w/ an old H.S. chum when i am there (Bruno). i am planning the route now. heading there: AZ, NM,OK, Missouri, Ill. way back: UP,WI,MN,SD,COL,NM,AZ.
let me know where you are and what you would ride that is worth stopping for half a day in your neck of the woods to discover! i love single track but i am travelling with the family and they like more mellow stuff. looking for memories to ride. sites, trails, terrain,the cool stuff. c'mon impress me with your home rides!
Thanx!

SCOOBY450

Apr 13, 2007
summer trip

looking for trails to ride in Oklahoma & Missouri. Somewhere close to I-40. I am heading to Michigan via Cedar Point. Any riding areas along that route would be great! :nod:

Surfrider

Apr 9, 2007
before anyone discloses their precious riding spots..........are yours and your families bikes quiet, because we have enough problems with noise closing down our local spots

SCOOBY450

Apr 13, 2007
oh yeah

our bikes are quiet. my wife likes a little bark-but she rides a 230crf...not too much bark.
going I-40 to I-44 to I-70:OK.,MO.,Ill.,Ind.,OH,MI. looks like the first ride stop may be St. Joe's,MO.
on the way back: WI., Minn.,IO.,Neb.,CO.,NM,AZ
stopping in Penrose,CO.?

motoxguy47

May 21, 2007
i used to go up by ceder point every weekend and i havent noticed any riding areas...but im sure there there

SCOOBY450

Apr 13, 2007
so far: possibly Lake McClellan,TX;definetly St. Joe's MO.; Tomahawk,Mich.; possibly Flat Rock,Neb.;probably Penrose, CO.
Next month: Wells, Nev. and Idaho!....looking like a great summer! :laugh:

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
2 IL considerations

Lincoln Trails offroad in Casey, IL - you will go near it on route 70. Do an internet search - they have a website. Used to be the home of Dirtweek.

Further north - Buffalo Range in Ottawa, IL - they also have a website.

Both have woods and MX - you can find whatever speed you are looking for.

SCOOBY450

Apr 13, 2007
Check It Out!

Alright here we go. The trip starts out of Phoenix on June 21. Due to limited time I have several different riding areas along the way that may or may not be doable.
First outside Amarillo is Lake McClellan, Texas. I would think that this riding area would be better during any other season than summer so it is possible but I’m probably going to pass it up.
A probable stop is St. Joe’s State Park, MO. – I do not have reservations at the park and plan to arrive Saturday, June, 23. Anyone have info on camping availability? How about the trails? Also would like climate info.
Next possible stop would be either Lincoln Trails,Ill. or Haspin Acres, Indiana. Any info on these places would likewise be mucho appreciated.

In Michigan I will be riding Tomahawk with the almighty Bruno670! And his motely crew – God help us! Don’t worry Bruno- I’ll take it easy on you!
He also has aspirations of taking me to Baldwin which would be awesome but considering I’m traveling 2000 miles to Michigan to ride I still have to do the family thing and spend a couple days with my folks! Mostly because although my mom is >80 yrs., < 5’ 3”, she could still kick both Bruno and my A** at the same time (she’s tough).
Return trip through U.P., Wi., Iowa, Neb., CO.
Possible rides at: Flat Rock, Nebraska; Penrose,CO.
Any info on any riding areas worth checking out along the return leg is welcome.
CAN'T WAIT, BOB.

RedThumper

Feb 29, 2004
If you're going through Colorado, via I-25 to New Mexico, I'd stop off at Rampart Range. It's about 20 miles south west of Denver. There's 100+ miles of dirt trails for all levels. The trails are all nicely marked as green, blue or black trails for difficulty too (green being the easiest). It's one of my favorite spots around here. Here's a link. http://www.atvaonline.com/Ride/Rampart_CO.asp

FYI - If you plan on stopping there, your best bet is to hit it during a weekday. The weekends can get a little crouded.

RedThumper

Feb 29, 2004
If you can squeeze a day in at Baldwin, MI it's worth it. I've ridden there several times and it's a lot of fun.

SCOOBY450

Apr 13, 2007
Less Than 4 Days!

Leaving Thursday night! still have too much to do before the trip but the RV is getting there, the trailer is waxed, bikes are clean and prepped, and the clock gets slower and slower!

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006

I would like to see your mom do that.

I hope you have fun out here with us showing you the trails. Evart on Tuesday looks like it might have rain. If we ride early, I think I can scare the bears off the trail since my bike smokes too much. (jetting issues) Wolverine is a blast. especially if you like BIG hills. I look forward to meeting you and your family.

SCOOBY450

Apr 13, 2007
BIG hills??? in Michigan? "squirrel, please!" Come on out to AZ- I'll show you big hills! And tell Bruno that the 'forest' we rode in when he was here has been closed to all rec. vehicles due to fire restrictions! Including OHV areas!
And one last note: if your bike is smoking that much please feel free to inhale some of those fumes- perhaps it would age your voice and I won't confuse you w/ the kids! ;)
Looking forward to a week from today! :laugh:

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
If I started inhaling fumes, I would be a role model for the kids. Then they would begin to do it as well. SO you still would not be able to tell our voices apart. HEHEHAHAAHHHA

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…