Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
racerx

January 29, 2004

GNCC Racing Legend Scott Summers To Make A Run @ ’04 Title

One of the most decorated cross country motorcycle racers of all time will return to run the Grand National Cross Country Series tour, beginning this weekend in Texas
- press release -

ANAHEIM, Calif., (Jan. 29, 2004) – OMS Sports announced today that legendary off-road racer Scott Summers - with full backing from Parts Unlimited – will return to contest one of America’s toughest race series’, the GNCCs, beginning this weekend in Gilmer, Texas, with the season-opening Lone Star GNCC.

Summers, who raced five GNCCs last year beginning with the Wisp GNCC in Maryland (late June), put up some descent numbers – his best finish being a fifth place at the Power Line Park GNCC in Ohio. So Summers, who won an amazing nine championships in nine years, intends on adding to his legend this year with another run at the GNCC title.

“I had some fun getting back to the races, now it’s time to get serious and go after another title,” said Summers from his home in Kentucky. “I trained this fall and winter as hard as I ever have and am confident coming into the first race of the GNCC season that I have a very legitimate shot at the title.”

Highlighting Summers’ unparalleled resume includes the facts that he was the first rider to win both the Cross Country or Hare Scrambles series on a four stroke, the first rider to win the Hare Scrambles title two years in a row; the first to finish a Cross Country season with a perfect score; has won both the Cross Country and Hare Scrambles titles twice in the same year and he’s been the AMA Cross Country series’ Rider of the Year six times, not to mention the three ISDE gold medals.

A fan-favorite wherever he goes, Summers, who will remain a Honda Riders Club of America spokesman, is quick to point out that his past will mean nothing to the tough field of competition once the flag drops this weekend in Texas. “I’m aware there there’ll be quite a few guys out there going for the same thing,” he said. “So that’s certainly going to make an exciting year of racing on the GNCC tour!”

Backing Summers in his quest will be the following sponsors: Parts Unlimted, Honda Pro Oil & Chemicals, Honda Genuine Brakes, HRCA, Alpinestars, Moose, Maxxis Tires, Smith Goggles, Suomy Helmets, EK Chain, Sunstar Sprockets, Factory Effex, Wiseco, FMF, TAG, CYCRA, Tire Balls, Works Connection, Steahly and PC Racing.

YEEEEHA :yeehaw:

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
So is he gonna ride the 650?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I hope that will be the case! I never understood how he could ride the 600s.

Though there is no question that he could.

He would (and probably still does) maintain that the 600 was the best choice, but I always felt there was some pressure from Honda to keep him off the CRs. I always wondered how fast he could go on a bike that was . . . . say . . . . 50 lbs lighter.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Jon K. said:
I hope that will be the case! I never understood how he could ride the 600s.

Though there is no question that he could.

He would (and probably still does) maintain that the 600 was the best choice, but I always felt there was some pressure from Honda to keep him off the CRs. I always wondered how fast he could go on a bike that was . . . . say . . . . 50 lbs lighter.

He did more than a few articles for Dir Bike mag., some even comparing 2/4 strokes, and his preference was straight gassers.

When I had one with valves, much was to be learned from those articles. He had a good understanding of how they worked, and some even applies to 2 strks. One went into the difference between Steve Hatch and Wattsy's/USA vs. rest-of the-world riding styles.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
..forgot to mention. He exchanged White Bros for Parts Unlimited, and Pirelli for Maxxis?! That's how the bills get paid.

And glad to see him back.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Rumor control has Scott riding a 450.

Mully

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Last rhing I heard (trough a friend who is buddies with one of the Honda racing mucky mucks) he is racing the 450, but he is frustrating Honda by trying to turn it into a psuedo 600, heavy flywheel weights, etc. Hard to argue with his accomplishments he, is one of my faves. I never understood how he could ride tha beast sooo fast, be fun to see how he adapts to the new generation and running with the kids :yeehaw:

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
I have seen him ride probably a dozen times over the years - and have yet to see him go through the woods without his breaks squeeling ( I swear it starts on the first lap)! I got to think the lighter 450 will make him even faster.

Top Bottom