Sunrise West - Checotah OK - 2 Heartland Spodes In Action

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
What a day Bswift, Sawtooth, my son, and I had at Sunrise West in Checotah, OK. The weather was great, partly sunny with a constant breeze from the South, and the dirt even better. This was my inaugural ride on the 02 CR 250 I picked up on Saturday. The track is right next to the interstate and when Sawtooth saw it the excitement level went off the meter. We pull in next to Bswift, shake hands and unload the bikes. Sawtooth took to the track first and proceeded to auger in to a table top that had a single jump in front of it on the first lap. After some words of wisdom from myself and more importantly, Bswift (Thanks!). Sawtooth understands the importance of taking a sight lap.

I suit up and start up the mighty red rooster to see what owning a Honda is all about. Now everyone needs to understand, I always said I'd never own a Honda. Lets cut to the chase. This is the BEST bike I have every owned. After less then 12 laps I attacked and clear obstacles I would have not tried on my old rusty 97 YZ 250. The motor hits hard in the mid range and pulls from there. The only complaint I can find is it goes through the gears very quickly. I adapted by trying to stay in the mid range hit to clear various obstacles. After a number of laps I make a few personal adjustments to the rear brake pedal height, idle and one click in on the forks compression which all add to the fun factor.

Mean while, Sawtooth does a flying W that I didn't see. He comes back to the truck with his pride and stomach hurt. After more words of wisdom from Bswift (thanks again!)about basic bike control and turns. Sawtooth heads out to practice standing up and turns. By the end of the day he is doing much better, gaining skill and confidence, all thanks to my good friend Bswift. During one of these talks with Sawtooth, Bswift makes a classic Heartland Spode quote. "You can take the fastest guy here that can clear all the jumps, but if he can't do corners, he ain't fast", I turned and looked at Bswift and said, man thats a classic quote I gotta post. So there you go buddy!

All in all, it was a great day. The only thing that would have made it fantastic is if the rest of the Heartland Spodes could have been there.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Great day at the track.  When I arrived, there were only two bikes!  For awhile, Sawblade, Sawtooth, and I had the place to ourselves, a prepped track, mind you.  The dirt was really nice.  Kinda sandy but I like that myself.  The jumps were laid out well and were in pretty good shape.  The first two guys had been playing "follow the leader" and made the track "one line".  I decided to work on my corning with Brutus so I started taking alternate lines.  Before long, my alternate lines were the fastest and ALL of the other riders were rippin'.  By 2:00, there were about 12 people there and they re-watered the track. 
Sawtooth was practicing his turns, watching his body positioning, letting the bike move around under him without panicing.  It was easy to see he was working hard at it and he is learning quickly.(Mom, will you tell Dad to take me riding so I can practice?) ;)   The CR rips in the mid range.  I overjumped BIG TIME on it.  The suspension took the shot and all went well.  Brutus, well, is well named.  Power at the start, power in the middle, and power at the top(haven't quite found out how much).  
This track is a must do for the Heartland Spodes and any others that want a chance to work on skills and have a good time.  At $10, a really good deal.
Around 3:00, I loaded Brutus and packed up.  It was good seeing Sawblade and Sawtooth but the day had to end sometime.  Thanks for a great day.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Sawblade
The only thing that would have made it fantastic is if the rest of the Heartland Spodes could have been there.

someday...

i'm glad you like your honda. did jw throw in any goodies? btw, the track is sunset west. i haven't gotten to ride on it but it looks fun.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Sounds like a good time. I haven't done any moto since Riojas run Lorin and I off the track at 59th and Douglas. Been doing nothing but woods. The transformation of my YZ250 is complete!! I'll hook up with you guys one of these days... the 426 is fun on the track.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Jay,
The bike has a pc pipe, silencer and v force reed cage and renthal handle bars. I only made a few minor adjustments to my liking. This bike will make me a better rider and more importantly have fun. Your welcome to take it for a spin when you are ready, I know you will like the motor

Sunset West, got it! :thumb:

OldMaiconut,

Come on out next time! We need to set a date in the next two - three weeks and hit Sunset again. Mr Sawblade wants to come and has even offered to supply/cook the vittles

Top Bottom