justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The Heartland Spodes met up at a private track close to Enid. Thanks to OKKX'er for getting us the oppurtunity to ride the track. It was a private track with lots of doubles, some step downs, and a couple of table tops. The soil was a dry, powdery, hard pack mixture.

When I arrived bswift and newbie friend Darren were there already. Okkx'er and Thefastkidonthe80 arrived. After getting the lowdown on the track from OKKX'er, the good jumps, the bad jumps, and all of that type of info. We hit the track.

I owe a big thanks to OKKX'er, who spent a lot of time at the beginning of the day working with me on the jumps. A little historry about myself. I have ridden for over 25 years. Starting on cowtrails and progressing up to the trails my older cousins had layed out on the family farm. I rode my first enduro at age 29 six years ago. Since then I have ridden up to 12 enduros a year, a couple of cross countries. One MX at DW01. This was the third mx track I have ever really ridden. The first being Casey during DW01, the second in Tulsa OK A few weeks ago. I also was riding my kx250 which I just got, it was my second day on it. OKKX'er would tell me what gear to hit a jump in, how much throttle, etc. I was able to sit and watch him and then do it myself. MX547 has also helped this MX newbie alot. Thanks guys.

By the time the day was over I was "doing" five of the jumps. I never dropped the bike, I did land on the front end once on a step down double type of jump. I was short of the down hill landing are. Kinda scared me.

Craig_enid rode about at my level, he's also a woods rider, bswift was making a few more of the jumps than me, OKKX'er and mx547 were really airing it out on the jumps. Only one jump had them scratching thier heads. They were being shown up by a 14-15 year old kid on an older cr 250, the kid was doing cancans over a jujmp that was kinda hard to get the speed up neccasary to do.

In keeping with the Heartland Spode Bylaws there was food. Mrs. OKKX'er came and cooked for us. Really good food. Thank her again for me,Okkx'er.

Also in keeping with the traditions of the HL Spodes, mx547 initiated the new rider, Darren, by running over him. Darren said all he knew was he heard someone come up behind him hollaring HeyHeyHey, then he felt the impact. Good job mx, We got our rules you know;)

I can say that there was a moment today when my chest swelled up with pride. I mean I was as proud as a parent whose son had just hit a homer in baseball. At one point in the day bswift, who owns this monster bike called the Mamba, which is loaded with everything possible to stick on a bike, including a 310 kit. Anyways bswift was riding my "little" 250 when all the guys started practising starts. I mean there were 7-8 kx's, a older cr, and a suzuki all lined up drag racing down a grassy straight around some tires and back. Swift riding MY kx was pulling the holeshots, if he didn't get the holeshot he was usually second. Even with the front wheel off the ground down the straight in a full wheely he would still pull away from them.

Overall a good day of riding. Sorry some of you guys couldn't make it.

Last edited:

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Sounds like you guys had a good time. I'd like to hook up with you sometime. I am back into dirt bikes after a 20 + year lay off. My last time on a MX track was at Saddleback Park in 78 on my 78 YZ250. I looped it on the big straightawy jump there and did the old try to run at 60 mph routine followed by the inevitable face plant and rag doll tumble. I thought I was gonna die! Couldn't stand up straight for a month, and when I could, I sold the YZ and all my gear for $1000 bucks and said never again....... the bug gets to you though... I plan on doing some pre-74 vintage MX this year and also want to do some modern... need to learn about these do-or-die jumps though. Pain hurts more now than it did 30 years ago when I used to race!

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Where abouts are you from oldmaiconut? We are going to be riding at Sunset MX track in MUskogee in a couple of weeks. It's suppose to be a nice easy tame MX track. I too do not like the do or die jumps. That is why I DON'T do them. I only did five of the jumps today. I got decent at them, lots of times over and over.

Do you ever ride woods? We like to do that as well.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
I'm in Norman. Rode some today at Draper. Thought it would be a nice day for it. Started things off with gusto by grabbing a little too much gas wheelieing across a little creek.. the 426 caught mee off guard and I had an argument with a few trees and bushes. Oh well.. no witnesses! Thought I'd do a loop through the woods. Things going along fine...seemed a little slippery. Dang it if I didn't have a flat tire! Had to load it up for the day.

My experince has been trails and motocross back in the early seventies. Desert and some moto in the late seventies. Nothing since then. I'm taking it slow. Muskogee is a ways off, but maybe someone can drive my truck home if I take the ambulance.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We've got a guy we ride with from OKC. Maybe you guys could hook up and travel together. :think I'll keep you informed about where and when we ride. It's usually also posted here on DRN. That's where most of us have met.:)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The day started out a little cool but was definitely worth being out in the sunshine. After some warm up, Justql told me to give his KX a try. So I got my buddy going on the Mamba and I climbed aboard the '00 KX. What a difference. The Mamba has the big bore kit and is ported for low end and the hit is strong but not overpowering. The '00 KX snapped like a bullwhip! I took a few of the jumps with realitive ease and the hit a little downhill double. I overjumped and bottomed hard. Bruised my tailbone on the 2X4 of a seat and headed to the pits.
After adjusting the clickers a bit, I took the '00 KX for another spin. Big improvement. The quick snap made several of the jumps real easy but also real easy to over jump.
Everytime I took a break, another truck pulled up with a KX 250 in it. First there were three, then six, then 10, then 12, I finally lost track of the the exact number. Team green would have been proud.:p
After the great lunch, thanks Barbera, everyone did some more practice. The drag racing was fun. Justql's KX was rippin' the holeshot. I was backing off of the throttle trying to keep the front wheel down and was still pulling away. What an awsome feeling flyin' thru the gears, front wheel up 10 inches, roost flyin', and passing. I just wish Craig_enid had still been there to get it on film.
The Heartland Spodes were at their best. Good riders, good friends, great time. On the way home, my buddy and I stopped for fuel, he picked up a Bike Trader(he is now hooked), we stopped at the I35 & 51 track to check it out. This track is high speed. Long jumps and tight corners. The owner was there working on a second track but not sure when it will be ready. We should keep our eye on it and check it out sometime.
Sawblade, I'm not sure if I taught MX547 well or if the JINX has moved on.:p
Had fun guys, just name the time and the place, this Heartland Spode is ready to ride.:)

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I hope mx547 didn't have trouble on the way home. I figured he'd be defending his little incident.:p ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
nothing to defend. it was a stupid decision. i'm surprised darren is still interested in riding after that.

do you guys realize that you didn't mention what bike darren was riding when i tried to kill him? sawblade would be proud.

Last edited:

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
:think :eek: :scream:

Well what ya got to say swift........:think

I think swift is hiding in the womans forum......;)

Last edited:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Sounds like everyone had a great time as usual. I'm also glad to know that I can go riding with bswift and not worry about that large x on my back! Hope Darrens not spooked to bad. Guess not since he picked up a cycle trader.

I will make the ride at Sunset. The weekend of Jan 26 - 27 I will be out of town attending the big yearly meetings, so lets shoot for the first weekend of Feb if that works for everyone else.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
hey guys

I raced a track in Enid back in 1984. It was WAY ahead of its time as far as layout and accomplishments. Under ground water sprinkling system, bridges for spectators, computer scoring! 1984! ANyway I heard at the time the guy was well off and just built it for his kid, was curious if it still was around. I only went there once for an area qualifier. It was somewhat sandy soil with evergreens for trees. It had a table top and some doubles and another table top right in front on the front straight, where the bleachers were.

this place sound familiar?

wardy

If i find some of the pics i have of this place i will post them.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by justql
:think :eek: :scream:

Well what ya got to say swift........:think

I think swift is hiding in the womans forum......;)
Well, the wife decided to play cupid and had a blind date set up for Darren when we got home! Is that considered hanging out in the womens forum? I was really looking for a rock to hide under.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I'm not for certain about that track Wardy. It wasn't this one. It was anice track but nothing that fancy.

bswift- Was Darren's dates there?? Surely you're wife didn't ruin the guys perfect day of riding by having a first meeting while the guy had helmet hair.

caption- "OOOHH GO please remove, the seat from butt, before you set the sag"

or

"Bow down you moto wanta be's for the new king has arrived. "

Last edited:

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Wardy, that track you remember has to be Country Motocross, it was 60 miles west of Enid, but a fantastic track, nevertheless. I have a loose knee to forever remind me. The closest town was Mooreland, OK. It also had a 30' drop into a canyon with a little kicker at the top. The brave could jump down into it. You remember correctly that he put it in for his son's benefit, but sad to say, around '86 the boy decided partying was more fun than racing and they closed it down. It had the sand and cedars, bleachers, and most impressive in-ground watering! I only got to race there once.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by justql
bswift- Was Darren's dates there?? Surely you're wife didn't ruin the guys perfect day of riding by having a first meeting while the guy had helmet hair.

Oh yeah, helmet hair, dirt in between his teeth and all! I guess it wasn't too bad, she called and wanted his number, then he called and wanted her number, so....whatever.
My tailbone is sore. Justql, you need Tall seat foam, dude! The next few rides are gonna be hard on the knees. Finally got the gaskets in for the top end, I'm going to start the tear down tonight.:eek:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by craig_enid
Well, I can't help it! Check out the picture, then submit your caption.

justql: "i ride much faster without a helmet. where's my loafers?"
darren: "it's my turn, squid!"
bswift: "damnit! craig got the last burger."

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by mx547

bswift: "damnit! craig got the last burger."

ROTFLMAO. God that's good. It's almost as good as when bswift was riding mx547's bike. My back was to the bike, I was facing mx547. With his head going up and down in an arc, mx slowly says "heeeee's jummmping my bike"
You had to be there.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks for the ride on the CR, MX547. Your bike feels like it is brand new. I wish I could've seen your face though.;)

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
What was so funny was the movement of his head. It told the whole story. Good jump swift.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Hey, you know, I didn't crash, run in to anyone, or come up short on any jumps!:) Now overshoot, that's another story. (Pardon me why I stand up):eek:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
mx547 and his bike

there is something about mx547 letting you ride his bike.............dont feel bad SWIFT. on the casey video that he shot of me and lorin riding his bike on the track he can be distinctly heard saying " no wheelies!!!" as i popped his bike up on the rear coming to the bridge. the videos are finished but i had hoped to deliver them in person sometime soon. cant wait to hookup at sunset with yall.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
LOL, I was standing next to him on the bridge when he was shooting the video. That was funny. :)

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
If you guy's bikes were as sweet as that cr you'd be protective too.:p

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom