suspension help for really light rider

voodoo

Oct 19, 2005
i was hoping some one could help me with setting up my suspension on a 04 cr250r. the problem i've been having for years is i only weigh 120lbs, soaking wet, so would all the standard ie. race sag, rules apply to me, are there any other featherweights out there on 250 two strokes...please help

Feb 17, 2005
120 shouldnt be bad on the 04 CR. I rode one and I thought it was a tad under sprung for my (165) so it should be pretty race ready for you.

I would just set the sag at around 104 to 105 to remove some of the bite out of the rear, so that it will be more gentle on your light weight body. Then set the fork oil height so that the forks bottom only on the very worst landings. Set the clickers to make you happy.

But really the sag of 104 to 105 will be most the noticable change and will allow you to take control of the bike instead of it taking control of you.

Or you could re-spring it for your weight if you want to go all out.

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Voodoo
That bike is way too stiff for you.
I would suggest you seek out some lighter springs before you do anything. The force of any impact is going to take the path of least resistance. If it is physically easier to push the rider back than to compress the suspension, then sure as
sh-t stinks, that's whats going to happen. I would also suggest you run the (fork) outer tube oil volume at 375ml. The shock is underdamped on rebound and will be assisted by the lighter spring.
Terry

voodoo

Oct 19, 2005
first thank you both very much for your help, i "started" to adjust the sag today, i backed off the adjuster until the loaded sag was about 3.5 inches...the unloaded sag of the bike is about two inches, is that ok (2 inches) unloaded sag, my manuel is unclear on what that measurement should be. is it ok to back off even more?

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
I Think a static (unloaded) sag of 2 inches with a race sag of 3.5 means your spring is too stiff for your weight. There are people on here who can tell you better but I am pretty sure race sag is more important than static sag. What I am trying to say is dont adjust your race sag out to a bad measurment just to get the right static sag. This only applies if you are not changing the spring. With the correct spring your static sag should be, I am guessing, 35mm and your race sag 100mm.

Pleae feel free to correct me if I am wrong I need help here too.

Chris

voodoo

Oct 19, 2005
so is it ok to keep adjusting to get my race sag at about 4 inches at the cost of the static(unloaded) sag...i wont be able to get a spring for a couple of weeks, but will eventually be getting one...

Top Bottom