Marcus K

Jan 8, 2002
I have a 2001 yz 250, which I had stiffer springs installed for my weight (210 lb w/o gear). I just bought the 2003 yz 250. I know the springs are interchangeable, however, would I need to do anything else, like re-valve (which I would have to pay to get done) if I wanted to switch the stiffer springs into my '03 yz?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Hey big guy this question belongs in the "Suspention Q&A Forum"

Phillip

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Marcus-what a cool name;) i would try the springs 1st and you may find its all you need-if the bike feels no better then look at a revalve.The only reason you may need to revalve with stiffer springs is to help control the stronger rebound action.However i dont think you will find this a problem.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Hey Marcus (K)!:)....just out of interest, how do you know the springs are interchangeable, i am not saying they are not, but i am interested as to how much they have changed the YZ's over the last 3 years. are the shock and fork still the same travel etc.? or have they changed the shock travel or valving dramatically to cope with the changes to the frame? does it follow that what would the spring rates you have for the 01 will still work on the 03? if your springs dont work dont worry, i will buy them!;)

just curious since a lot of people have said the 01 was nice but the 02 was a bit stiff frame wise.....cant wait to hear about the 03 ride reports, i saw one at the dealer yesterday!

later

bruce

Marcus K

Jan 8, 2002
Hey Bruce
When I bought my '03 yz, the dealer said the '01 spring would fit the '03. I hope they're right!! Sorry, don't know much about the travel and other stuff...I just know that at my weight I'll need a stiffer spring. I figured, and could be wrong, that not much would be changing with the new 2 strokes, since yamaha is spending a lot of time and money focusing on the four strokes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom