dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
First the easy one, do I need a special tool to remove the front sprocket, stripped it this weekend.

Second - I ride a lot of rocky trails and notice that I get bounced around preety good on my 220 while my friends on more modern KTM's or the Honda CRX 250 seem to float over the rocks more. Sure those bikes costs $2K more, so you would expect better suspension. I was just about keeping up on my bike, but do you think at some point the limitations of the KDX suspension are reason enough for a bike upgrade? Are there aftermarket shocks or forks that would improve the ride a lot?

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
I'd start with playing with the clickers.Possible spring change if your weight dictates that,Do a search in these forums, there's lots of info on this.....

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You stripped your front sprocket?

If you adjust the new chain (and you DO need a new chain) to the proper tension, you may see a major increase in how the shock performs.
I'd wager money that your chain was too tight.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Playing with clickers can make a big difference. The best way I know of is to have someone follow you through a set of whoops or over a sharp edged lip and see how the rear wheel stays in contact with the ground and how it rebounds. The butt slap should go away with proper rear adjustments. Front ends do well with only a spring change. Lot's of info here if you do a search on the forum. Based on the hours you may have on the bike, you may be due for a suspension oil change at the least. Not hard to do, but have a shop manual on hand for reference.
I'd be interested in seeing any photos you might be able to post on the stripped front sprocket as well as the whole chain sproket assembly. I'm betting the chain and rear sprocket are not in spec anymore either since the front sprocket is usually the strongest link in the drive train.

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
My chain was not tight, but I have to admit that before the front sprocket stripped many of the teeth were bent. In 2 years I have put about 2000 miles on the bike, much of it enduro or fairly hard riding.

As far as the suspension, I already had Fredette put gold valves in the forks, but I have not done much with the shock other then setting race sag to 100mm.

dougjc

Mar 23, 2003
I probably weigh 210-215 in all my gear. You mean the shock, right? I will double check my sag if thats what you mean.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
dougjc said:
My chain was not tight, but I have to admit that before the front sprocket stripped many of the teeth were bent.

I don't think you mean "bent" do you? As the steel gets worn away, the teeth become "hooked". This is a very common sign that you need to replace the sprockets and chain. When the "hooking" gets bad enough, the teeth will break off, or "strip". With your new chain, make SURE your chain isn't too tight. Sit on the bike and bounce up and down a little. When the rear axle is at it's farthest point from your counter sprocket, the chain should still have a little slack in it. A KDX chain seems very loose when your not sitting on the bike. More loose than some other bikes. I would recommend at least 42k fork springs for you weight. Maybe even a stiffer shock spring. Here's a good source.
http://www.frpoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FRP&Category_Code=SUSP

Top Bottom