Suspention linkage grease nipples

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
Hello, my mates 2004 kdx200 does not have any grease nipples on the suspention linkage, I couldn't believe it, I gave it a good look over and it didn't appear to have any.
Are all kdx's like this, how would ya grease the linkage? Is it just the new 04 model's?

cheers,

Ben

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Maybe you could go through the procedure of greasing a KDX linkage and help the guy, wibby?

(shakin head)

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
I would like to know this too. I have a brand new 04 with 100 miles on it. I would like to know how to grease the suspension and if there are any tips since apparently I need to do it ASAP.

Phil

fivefour

Jan 31, 2003
Uh... how 'bout take it apart?

That pretty much sums it up. You have to take the linkage and swingarm apart, and while your're at it you should grease the steering bearings also. You guys should get the service manual from Kawasaki it will tell you how to do it.

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
just take it apart and lube the bearings up with Bel-Ray waterproof grease heres some pics .

Attachments

• 45567dogbone_pic_2-med.jpg
    45567dogbone_pic_2-med.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 45567swingarm_bearings_2-med.jpg
    45567swingarm_bearings_2-med.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 181

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
Here is a <b>LINK</b> with some pics. You might want to ask the guy how he installed them and/or how they are holding up. I think he installed them last riding season. Well anyways it is doable, I am assuming you will need a taper/die set to set the fittings. But they aren't too expensive.
On the other hand I don't think anything can be better than taking them apart and greasing them up yourself. There is some pride and satisfaction in this that you know you can take something apart and put it back together and it still works. I think that alone is enough for me to take'em apart.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'how about take it apart..'

That covers it.

If a step-by-step bolt-by-nut explanation is needed then the wrenching should be done by someone else.

Something you will get (hopefully) out of a takeapart process is a cleaning out of the old grease.

Do take care when tightening the pullrod fasteners. The oem bolt shoulders are on the short side and it's easy to tighten the pull rod against the shoulder. You might consider a c-clamp to compress the assy while you thread the nuts on.

Don't bend the pull rods!

Nice pics twiztid.

levert

Jan 29, 2002
I found our bike(Canadian) was severely lacking in grease.When new we did the steering head,wheels and linkage.Not hard put time consuming.With our riding through a lot of swamps and water once a year seems to be more than sufficient.
I still don't understand why all bikes don't have the grease nipples.Its a lot easier with the old RMX I borrow just to shoot in new grease in less than two minutes.I guess its a matter of Mfgs cutting costs and lets face it, making money on parts(bearings ,seals).

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If the guy wanted to know about the latest and greasest smoke-n-mirror mod, you guys wouldn't hesitate to go completely indepth covering every facet of the procedure.

And I totally disagree with your anylisis of what who should and who shouldn't be wrenching, canyncrvr. The guy may well quite apt with a wrench, and perhaps wants to know if maybe he's getting into something that he hasn't experienced yet. Or perhaps there was a certain nuance involved with this particular model of bike's linkage.
But no, he gets a wise crack from a cliquester. Of of course that wise crack backed up.
This site has become known for a great place for all people to come for good information. I've notived the web is full of other sites for smart asses and premadonas to lurk.
If it's been convered before, perhaps a link would be nice.
Good googelymoogly.

Harry,
Brand new bikes seem to be lacking grease just about everywhere. And I don't trust the grade of grease used in the factories either. The scrimp on amount, they are bound to scrimp on quality.
I suggest using a degreaser and removing all of the old grease you can from the brearings. Don't let any degreaser mingle with your seals too long, as it could soften them up.
You may want to use compressed air to blow the factory grease out if you can. I'm not sure if there are keepers for the needle bearing on that bike, but be carfeful not to displce them.
Be sure keep things in order like any washers you encounter so they go back correctly.
Pack things up with a good marine or waterproof grease preferably a NGLI#2, lithium base. Try not to use a calcium based grease, as they tend to harden fast after the oil leaves the soap base.

As was mentioned above, take a good look at your steering stem bearings as well. They probably need service too.

I think that the grease zerk thing is an aftermarket mod you must perform. Not sure if any of the KDX's actually came that way.

Best of luck to you mate.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Jaybird said:
But no, he gets a wise crack from a cliquester. Of of course that wise crack backed up.
This site has become known for a great place for all people to come for good information. I've notived the web is full of other sites for smart asses and premadonas to lurk.
If it's been convered before, perhaps a link would be nice.
Good googelymoogly.

:thumb:

jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
I have to agree with you guys, I have been riding dirt bikes for over 25 years and doing my own wrenching. This site has great info but I am afraid to post any questions because I see guys get flamed over and over again for just asking a simple question. There are things that I would love to ask this group that are simple and searching has not given me the answer. I belong to another similer group and we just help the new guys out and tell them how to search for there own answers. Please dont get me wrong this is a great group of people with alot to offer.

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Everyone should not hesitate to post.You should be able to ask anything here and get help.Some people should get a thicker skin and realize that some remarks are just off the cuff.
I read the posts and I just ignore the obvious sarcastic arrogant remarks by the small percentage here.
If your offended by a comment just remember where its coming from and how pathetic someone must be to try to humiliate someone on a forum.
Jaybird, I think this guy was just shooting a quick one out, not trying to be offensive, but I agree with you whole heartedly on your point about some of the needless blabble.
It wasn't long ago I had a piston that was to big for my Jawa 50, after carefull sandpapering it fit.YES it did run, point is we all start from scratch and the learning never stops.

Have a good day
Mark

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
Thanks for the information guys. I do all my own maintenance, I am very handy with a wrench.
I just wondered because i had never seen a bike with out nipples to grease the linkage.

thanks,

Ben

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Actually, I'm the one installed greasing zerk on my suspension linkage and posted the pics at http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunity/zerkyourkdx.msnw.

Yes I am proud of I've done. Would I do it again. Nope. I did it because my previous bike (XR 600R) had greasing zerks and found Kawa to be really cheap. Anyways, since I now pride myself in doing a complete teardown/build-up every winter, I find it almost as easy to completely dissassemble and repack the linkage.

However, I did install a greasing zerk on the steering head and I would do it again. Unlike many out there, I'll probably never change those steering stem bearing.

Questions are welcomed....

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Well, maybe it is time for "Wibbys Smartass KDX Only" site. I have got two similar responses for questions that I have posted. Although I don't claim to be a KDX expert I have 20 years experience working on my bikes and 10 years repairing jet aircraft. Some guys don't find humor in getting a response like that when you are in a bind and looking for advice. This is the best bike forum that I have found. Lets keep it that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom