Huh? Is this true?!:yeehaw:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wrong Forum. Moved.

flyinfinn

Nov 15, 2001
actually we might see one in europe ridden by michael pichon. in one interview he said that he will be riding the new 250/open class next year in europe in the same suzuki team and when needed, he will ride 4-stroke (depends on tracks, i suppose..:))

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
wait a minute here... doesnt Kawasaki have to offer one first then change the plastic to yellow? or was it that Suzuki offered it first then sold one with green plastic???

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I really want to see a RMF or something like that from Suzuki. WAKE UP GUYS!!!

And the Kawasaki and Suzuki MX models are independent, not like the DRZ and such.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
By the time Suzuki and Kawasaki get their 4-strokes released, most of their brand-loyal riders wanting to go 4-stroke will have already switched to another brand..
Funny how well Yamaha, Honda and KTM are doing now even with their 2-stroke sales, the only 3 big companies that are making a competitive thumper to date..

borsy

May 17, 2000
Read the latest issue of Cycle News, looks like Mike Kiedrowski is gonna win
the WORCS series 2nd year in a row on a DRZ, yeah its hopped up, but so are the YZF's and CRF's he's racing against. and the Kawasaki KLX 300 has been out longer than most of them, it has always been a competitive bike, now if your talking pure motocross, I'll agree, but for harescrambles and enduros, I think the DRZ and KLX300 can be very competitive.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Yup the DRZ is very good for harescrambles and woods riding/racing. Not really for motocross, but even the DRZ250 is good for some harescrambles! Especially when the going gets slick. I saw a DRZ 250 come in 3rd (level b, open) and it was very muddy and slick. Same deal w/KLX300.

And for about...1900 or so you can have a well suspended bored/stroked DRZ450! They have more power than a CRF450, but the wieght is a drawback.:)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by WoWman
And for about...1900 or so you can have a well suspended bored/stroked DRZ450! They have more power than a CRF450

In what parallel universe??? :silly:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by borsy
Read the latest issue of Cycle News, looks like Mike Kiedrowski is gonna win the WORCS series 2nd year in a row on a DRZ, yeah its hopped up, but so are the YZF's and CRF's he's racing against.
I've seen MX Kied's bike up close. Nalley used to ride it at the Hill & Gully enduros in Roselawn. That bike has so much aerospace-technology components bolted on that it's cost far exceeds the gross national product of most third-world countries. :scream:

I can't speak for the YZF's and CRF's, but you have to wonder why Team Suzuki still runs the DRZ in the WORCS series and modified RM's in the GNCC series. Could it be for the same reason that Honda's XR650R dominates in Baja... oh yeah, Kawasaki no longer runs the KX500 in Baja. Ah, but wait... didn't that heavy pig of an XR600R once dominate the GNCC series?

Hmmmm... maybe it's not the bike. ;)

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Rich I'm talking about the Yoshimura bore/stroker kit. Comes with 5mm off set crank pin and overbore piston, and they bore/plate (not sleeve) the cylinder. Also comes with new cams and ignition.
Then a re-valve on the suspension and maybe new springs if you are a heavier person.
Cost break down:
Yoshi kit (doing most of it yourself):...$1375.00
Gold valve kit front and rear:.............$280
Miscellaneous bits and pieces:............$100
TOTAL COST:....................$1755, maybe another 180 for springs.

And I rode a DRZ with that kit in it, it RIPS!!! Power is definetly on par (I felt more power actually) with the CRF. ANd yes I have ridden a CRF too. :thumb:

ecka

Apr 30, 2002
Did you know a Suzuki 4 stroke has been winning races in the Australian Thumper Series, beating the likes of the other Japanese bikes (CRFs and YZFs)of course factory kitted KTM 540s. The bike has been ridden by Darryl Hurley, Australian factory Suzuki.

It would have to be the trickest bike out there, and it marketed as a DRZ, but of course everything apart from the engine is RM

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by WoWman
Power is definetly on par (I felt more power actually) with the CRF. ANd yes I have ridden a CRF too. :thumb:

With all due respect to your highly tuned butt-dyno, the cylinder head on the DRZ is a weak spot at 400cc and it doesn't get better at 450. The CRF has no such problem.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Rich elaborate on that please.
I have a drz that i trail ride and have thought about a 436 or 450 kit. Not that i need more power, mostly for kicks, that sort of thing. Whats up w/the cylinder head??

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
IMO - The cylinder head in stock form doesn't move enough air to make real power at 450cc. The agressive cam profiles required to work around this issue tends to produce peaky power and a less than reliable valve train. It's not that the engine can't be made to produce power, it just takes much more $$ and effort. The engine was clearly designed to be a trail bike/realiable dual sport and in that venue it certainly shines. Trying to make it something it's not gets pricey. Not unlike the venerable XRs.
If all you are looking for is a low rpm torque increase then a big bore with the stock cylinder head and stock cam is an excellent way to do it. I personally would suggest steering clear of the sleeved options.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Oooh! I'm hurtin, Rich doesn't like my baybee! ;) :worship:
I wanted to post that I thought the DRZ is supposed to have the head off a TL1000, think I got that from an article on the Yoshi kit, I'll try and find it.
Then I figured the TL isn't exactly a racebike, so it wouldn't be a surprise to find it doesn't move a lot of air.
I'm more worried about that "I personally" but seeing as your spannering the chiefs bike, I reckon you wont hear a word outta him.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Ok keeping in mind i don't know alot of "mechanical theory". Instead of going big bore kits etc.etc. Could you just leave everything stock and do some head work and Get the same result as a big bore kit. Is head work ultra pricey? I would think that if someone was going through their motor a little head work would be in order along with everything else. Just curious

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
In October's DirtRider mag, they said that the RM450 and RM250 4strokes will be coming out in 2004. Also that the CRF250R is not up to par with the YZ250F so they will release it when it is up to par or past par, I guess.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Battered Sav
Oooh! I'm hurtin, Rich doesn't like my baybee!

Quite the opposite actually. I think it's a great bike and it's the only Dual Sport I would want to own, I just recognize it for what it is, and more importantly what it isn't.
It's just much closer in scope to the XRs than it is to the YZFs or CRFs.

Originally posted by Battered Sav
I'm more worried about that "I personally" but seeing as your spannering the chiefs bike, I reckon you wont hear a word outta him.

You'll have to help me here. I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Or maybe I should be more specific. Boring a BIG hole in the middle of a plated Suzuki DRZ barrel and jamming a steel sleeve in is a BAD idea. The amount of metal that has to be removed to facilitate fitting a steel sleeve is excessive and tends to lead to bore instability issues and head gasket sealing problems.

Okie's 250F overbore is a properly plated OEM barrel.

Top Bottom