hebegebes

Oct 30, 2001
For you swimmers out there - which is the best moto-specific swim stroke? I can do them all(except butterfly) fairly well and was wondering which stroke or strokes you use. Also, for how long? Thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hebegebes,
I was a competitive swimmer and diver as a kid. The best stroke for training is the freestyle. You should be able to swim about 100 50meter laps per day if you are in shape. Another good train is to use a kickboard and just use your legs, this builds great lower body and back.
Unfortunately the best stroke for upper body strength is the butterfly. It's not a hard stroke to get the hang of, but it IS one hard stroke to train with.

Good Luck!

hebegebes

Oct 30, 2001
Jaybird,
Thanks for the reply. Freestyle gets my heart rate the fastest and gets my breathing the hardest. How often do you take breaths during freestyle? In high school we were told to breathe every time our right arm came out of the water but I think they told us this because some weren't very good swimmers. In a lifeguarding class I took in college we were told to breathe every other time our right arm came out of the water. If I breathe every third time my right arm comes out of the water, will I increase my lung capacity?

As far as doing 100 50m laps - I usually swim in the ocean or the neighborhood pool. The pool is not 50m but is bigger than a typical backyard pool. So, how long is a reasonable amout of time to swim 100 50m laps?

Thanks again.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Well me personally i do 100 yard backstroke and 100 freestyle. To me the backstroke is harder. You should breath every 3rd stroke usually during freestyle. For me right now we are averaging about 6,000 7,00 yards a practice..Yess i am VVVVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRRYYYYYYY tired. We do this amount of yards in a 2 1/2 hour practice.

hebegebes

Oct 30, 2001
Are you serious? Two and a half hours of swimming? Is that every day? I can't imagine doing that many laps without getting bored to death. I'm usually good for an hour of freestyle before I find I can no longer concentrate on keeping correct form. Instead I try to get in an hour of weight training in before the swim.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
yup every day except for sunday..I got state trials Sat and state finals tuesday, and thats it..wohhooo then i could work and get money to spend on my bike :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
hebegebes,
A two hour swim is pretty comman when training. I personnaly like to do about an hour morning and another hour evening.
On the weight lifting...try to stager your training between lifting and swimming. I like calastentics (stretching) before swimming much better than weight training. You have two different types of training going on there. I've always found that weight lifting prior to swimming makes me more sore than does good. I think it's a lactic acid thing. Try to weight train on the days you don't swim. "Lift for show, swim for GO!"

hebegebes

Oct 30, 2001
Thanks for the reply guys. I thought I was pretty serious about training, but I guess I was wrong. Two one hour sessions sounds difficult but acheivable.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I agree with jaybird about the weight lifting. You build up muscle while swimming anyways. You use muscles that you never knew you had in swimming. Its a great sport.

cloverdale

Mar 4, 2000
Off the subject...but how do you get the chlorine out of your hair these days? The chlorine removal shampoo does not make a difference...and I do not want to shave my head. What is the secret?

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Cloverdale

to tell you the truth all i do is use regular shampoo right after i go swimming and then conditioner..I just shaved my head on sat for states.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Hey Jaybird

I used to be a swimmer too. My favorite was the breaststroke.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Well guys just to tell you that i did OK in states..I finished off with a 55.8 in 100 free and 104.8 in the 100 back..16th in the state in our class..which is "s" for small school. Anyways im kinda glad its over..hard work but i will still be training at the YMCA for muscles!!!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Of course this cannot be verified since written records were not kept back in those days. But, I swam a 59.8 100 yd brst to win the 1974 New Mexico High School State Championships. Then, in 1976 I did a 2:07 (that might have been a 2:09 maybe I did the 2:07 the folowing year) 200 yd brst for a 1st at the Western Athlectic Conference Championships. I used my scholarship money in 1975 to get a 250 Falta.:)

Can't prove I'm lyin':confused:

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Wooow a 59.~ in the 100 breast..Thats good!!! How good is a 2:0~ in the 200 breast. It must be good since you won. We dont have the 200 breast since it is only high school. Oh yeah the fastest breast stroker on our team does a 1:02. in the 100 breast..

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Are we talking about long course or short course (yards or meters)?

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
59 second 100 yds brst were fairly common back in those days as was a 2:07 for the 200. Those were decent regional times, and would qualify for nationals but wouldn't make the top 10 at the nationals. I haven't followed swimming in a really long time. I do know that some rule changes in the breast stroke have made the times drop quite a bit. If my older brother was still speaking to the family, I could probably search through is extensive archive of Swimming World magazines. But, that would be extremely boring.:confused:

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
:think ..
Now when the heck did they go to yards instead of meters?
When I was swimming...(which was back in the day the we all wore Mark Spitz speedo's :) ) everything was in meters. Diving was also in meters, 1 mtr and 3 mtr.
Only big accomplishment I made during my swimming career besides a box full of ribbons, was at AAU regionals. (Columbus, IN) I won the individual medly and it qualified me for the state AAU in Bloomington, and I got to choose the stroke or strokes I competed in since I qualified with the medly. I won't mention how I did at state.:(

Do any of you yongins know who Mark Spitz was? And do you know what he did that was unheard of and so very special?

:cool:

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
Well since u asked!!

Well here is a part of my school report that i did on him..

American swimmer Mark Spitz dominates Olympic record books. At the 1972 Olympics in Munich, he not only became the first athlete to take home seven gold medals (three in relays, two in freestyle and two in butterfly), but he set new world records in all seven events.
Spitz had already won a bronze, a silver and two gold medals in Mexico City in 1968; with a total of 11 medals, he shares the record for the most medals ever won by a U.S. Olympian. With nine gold medals, Spitz is tied with Carl Lewis for the most gold medals won, behind only Ray Ewry, who won 10 (two of which, however, were won in the unofficial Intercalated Games of 1906). He is tied with Matt Biondi for the most Olympic medals won by a U.S. male swimmer.

Outside the Olympics, he claimed 24 National Amateur Athletic Union championships and set 25 individual American records. He won five golds at the 1967 Pan-American Games. Spitz won eight NCAA titles, and was NCAA Champion four times in the 100-yard butterfly.

Having broken world records 26 times, Spitz has received numerous honors. He was awarded the AAU James E. Sullivan Award in 1971, and was named the 1972 World Athlete of the Year and the 1972 Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year. In 1977 He was inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honor Swimmer.

A competitive swimmer since childhood, by the end of his 10-year-old age group season, Spitz had achieved 17 age-group records. He owes much of his success to working with three of America's great swimming coaches, Hall of Famers Sherm Chavoor, Doc Counsilman and George Haines.

Today, Spitz is still an active supporter of swimming. He spends much of his free time with his wife Suzey and their two sons, Matt and Justin. He enjoys sailing and has completed the TransPacific Yacht Race from San Pedro, Calif., to Honolulu, Hawaii, three times.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
:think ..
Now when the heck did they go to yards instead of meters?
I don't know what is going on in the swimming world today. But, back in my day, college swimming events (NCAA) were held in pools that measured 25 yards long. I think that is because not all Colleges, and certainly not all High Schools, could afford to build Olympic size pools (50 meters long or "long course"). Most colleges (and high schools) had 25-yard pools, also known as "short course".

The other governing body back in the old days was the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU). Today the governing body is United States Swimming (USS). I could be wrong about that because I haven't been following swimming. Usually the AAU or USS swim meets were held in 50-meter pools. But that was usually the summer swim season, which would correspond with the AAU Nationals and the World Championships. The AAU also held a winter short course season to correspond with High School State Championships and the NCAA championships.

If funding is available, the most common pool dimensions are 25 yards by 50 meters so that both types of swim meets can be held. That, is a big pool and it holds a lot of water, especially if it is built to be a “fast” pool. A fast pool must have wave less gutters and line lines as well as deep water. And, if national and world records are to be broken, the pool will also have to be at sea level.

Diving boards (spring boards) have always been 1 and 3 meter, even for NCAA competition. There are also 5, 7, and 10 meter platform competitions, but not in NCAA.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
^5's to both of you statisticians!
Excellant report on Spitz, marcv125!

:)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Re: Well since u asked!!

Originally posted by marcv125
Well here is a part of my school report that i did on him..
It's really non of my business. But, when get to college and do a written report, you are going to have to be just a tiny bit more careful to quote your sources. The internet is available to teachers too.:) Maybe it's not such a big deal in high school, but college professors like to see students fail.;) I won't use the "P" word here because I'm really just trying to help you.:)

Top Bottom