VermontCR125

May 21, 2001
Finally decided to get a little deeper into the bearings etc on my bike. I had replaced the shock linkage bearings with a friend's hydralic press and though tedious it was not so bad. Wanted to change out the reciprical bearing in the shock mount and decided cause that was pretty beat might as well take a look at swing arm bearings and bolt.These most probably were never changed. I had wheel hop and lateral movement upon accel. and deaccel. i bought this bike 11/2 years ago and performed topend rebuild,new pipe/rejetting/wheel bearing replacement/meat/handlebars/etc.,etc. etc,.
After finally getting the bolt off and removing swingarm decided to go ahead and replace needle bearings/bushings/seals and regrease. One set of needle bearings had rusted big time ,Bushing all seized and the race was nonexistent. Well to make a long story longer I pressed new bearings in ,replaced the seals caps etc. Upon further examination the chain guide/slider had deep gouges in it, when I removed this I found the cause of the bearing failure . The chain had dug 2 holes about a 3rd of an inch into the swing arm and right down to the old bearings . Needless to say over time this caused rust and damage. since I had already pressed the new bearings in I could not weld the aluminum swingarm holes( one side only) without heat tempering ( ? ) the new needle bearings. My ? is can i use JB weld and get a new chain slider? Will this last at least a while? Those pivot works bearings ain't cheap . Thanks for any/all replys. There is another part to this story that I will send later. Kind of funny.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I think the best thing would be to repair the gouges by welding the swingarm. But why can't you remove the bearings? I don't think there is any reason why you can't press them out without damaging them.

Top Bottom