jarredtaylor

Jan 6, 2000
My 93 KX250 is acting weird. I put it on the stand, the rear shock is completely uncompressed, but it seems like there is vertical play in it.. in other words there's some play until the shock begins to compress. When I am going off of jumps it seems to to 'slap' around. Is this a tell tale sign that my bearigns in the swingarm need replacement or is something else going on?

JT

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
i think when you have side to side play, it means that your swingarm bearings are shot, but i have the same play in my 2000 kx250 and i grease the needle bearings in the linkage regulary, but i don't think that it's something that is supposed to be like that.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
you can verify if the swingarm bearings are toast. Put your bike on the stand and reach over the seat, grab the inside of your rim and lift. If there is slack or play in the swingarm before the shock starts to compress you should replace them. Be sure to replace all the bearings at once since you already will have the swingarm off. Be sure if you order a kit to make sure you order the linkage bushing/bearing also. When I ordered the kit it didn't come with it. Better to go to the buykawasaki.com web site to match part numbers.

Good luck.
Hal

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Yeah the vertical movement is in the linkage bushes.

This is normal.

It’s not good

but sadly dirt bikes stuff these bearings often.

Take apart linkage,

cry,

take to bearing shop,

cry again,

get new parts especially seals & shafts & remember the agony so you regrease them every so often.

When you have the linkage apart check the sw bushes.

Get your shock re-oiled while you wait for new bearings huh?

Like new, yay!

Hmm those forks feel bad now. . .

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by jarredtaylor
When I am going off of jumps it seems to to 'slap' around. Is this a tell tale sign that my bearigns in the swingarm need replacement or is something else going on?

Oh yes.

Top Bottom