thebeaver

Oct 26, 2009
Im switching from quads to dirt bikes and would like some advice on what to get.
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'11" 130lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
moderatley agreesive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods open fields and with friends
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Rode quads but only dirt bike ive rode is a friends xr100
5) Do you think you will race ?
nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
prefer yamaha
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
yamaha of jackson lil bit of everything lol
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$1500
10) Do you live in California?no
11) Your age?15
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Ive rode a Yamaha Banshee for the past three years and i dont want something to awfull powerfull but i still dont want to be left behind because my friends ride 450r's

I appreciate the help :aj:

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
Since your friends have 450's get a YZ 250. Now since your light, the suspension will need to be adjusted but truthfully a YZ 125 would be fine too.

thebeaver

Oct 26, 2009
Alright thanks man. I found a rm 125 locally and a yz 250 and am leaning more towards the 250 because the 125 seems to have electrical issues lol. I need to get more seat time though so I dont wind up on my rear :)

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
Yea man the 250s are another beast. their scary fast, I have a RM 250 and in the trails its too fast but good on tracks. What year 250 is it and how much. Dont pay too much.

thebeaver

Oct 26, 2009
Haha im used to goin fast on 4wheels just not 2 lol. I love puttin the hurtins on them 450s. Its a 2001 model yz250 and they're asking $1500. Im planning on tradin the banshee in on it.

Last edited:

aweebitofjt69

Oct 18, 2009
try to talk them down a bit but still a nice deal if in nice condition

thebeaver

Oct 26, 2009
It seems to be in nice condition. only thing i spotted was a small dent in the pipe. Im def. going to try to talk them down though. When i got the shee i talked um down $600 but that was a different person so ya never know lol.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
A YZ250 is ALOT of power for a 15 year old beginner that weighs a buck 30.

Beaver
Do yourself a favor...ride a 250 motocross bike before you buy one.

thebeaver

Oct 26, 2009
I'm plannin on it or sumthin similar be4 i jump into buyin it. Im gonna wait and see if sumthin else pops up lol. Just depends what I can get a good deal on since ill be buyinging a truck in less than a year, but im thinkin that rm125 would be good size if i could get the electrical system worked out. I dont think it would be that hard to do since ive had past experience workind on that type of thing.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I would advise against a 250 2smoker as well. A 125 is a perfect fit for you. Are your buddies 450s bikes?

I've had bad luck with reliability on the RMs. Seems like they're always broken?

thebeaver

Oct 26, 2009
Nah the 450s are quads. I wouldn't mind a 4stroke either lol im kinda used to the reliability thing cause of the shee. Im wantin somethin that has decent reliabiltiy but i am capable of fixing it if it does happen to break down. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I appreciate the help.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Simple top end maintenance will keep a 125 going a long time.

If you plan to just beat around the farm and not jump much an xr250 or similar would be a more reliable lower maintenance bike.

thebeaver

Oct 26, 2009
Yeah im used to the top end maintenance with the shee bein 2stroke and all lol. I might decide to jump from time to time but nuthin crazy. Im leanin more towards the 125 since there seems 2 be plenty of um around here. I appreciate all the help.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I would also advise a 125, you are about the same size as my neighbor who has been riding bikes for a while. He took a few years with no riding and his YZ125 is about all he wants to handle.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Talking only about 2 stroke.

try getting a 125. you will not regret it.

Once you get used to a 125, i can bet you will never change it for a 250. + it will make you a better rider.

thebeaver

Oct 26, 2009
Alright thanks guys. Im pretty sure ill be gettin that rm. Called um last nite and it ran be4 they washed it so im def. thinkin its electrical. If i do go look at it in person ill take a budd with me and do a compression test and see if its gettin fire. If not ill start with the simple stuff such as the plug and if its not that check the plug cap/wire coil cdi stator and the like lol.And another link to it http://www.racersedge411.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom