Switching from reg. oil to synthetic

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
I am breaking in my bike on normal premix and want to switch to synthetic soon. How long should I remain on the oil-oil before switching, and is there anything to tune e.g. jetting with the syntehtic.???

I am running a very genaric premix at the moment and have Amsoil synthetic 50:1 (blue stuff) to go to.

Marsh.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
My 93 KDX has run synthetic all along and wanted to revert to non-synthetic due to cost but I was warned I'd gum everything up because the two together would create a "gel". I was told I couldn't possibly clean the engine and tank enough to get ALL of the synthetic out unless i tore down the engine completely. I don't know if the same applies for your conversion, just a thought.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I usually run Amsoil synthetic. I have to order it and sometimes I have ran out before the shipment arrives. I use Maxxim Castrol 927 when I cant get the synthetic. I always remove the tank and carb bowl, clear all the old fuel and ride. I think as long as you dont mix the different fuel mixtures you will be ok.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Never heard of the "gum" thing you mentioned about switching oils. There are plenty of "semi-synthetic" blends on the market that work great. Best of both worlds. I use the Maxima Super M semi-synthetic blend. Many other companies have their own version as well. So with this blend, I can't see why it would gum up in what you're trying to do.

Maybe if Rich R. is reading he could give some insight to this.
Rich?? :think:

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I have gone back and forth several times in the last 30+ yrs. with no harm. All of my car motors I break in w/mineral oils and switch over also and NO break down of motor/tanks, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't try and create a mixture myself but motors will withstand the change.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
When you change going any direction--just empty out everything: tank, carb, and your gas can and start over. You will not have problems this way.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
The problem is that occasionally the additives do not mix (well). You do not usually know when that will happen, so be certain, to avoid problems. Just like you tell your children growing up: It is a lot easier and more fun to stay out of trouble, than to get out of trouble!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom