Switching to sythetic oil, what needs to be done

MarkWo

Feb 3, 2004
I am going to switch to the Amsoil Interceptor oil for my KDX220. Is there anything else that needs to be done other than draining the gas tank and cleaning it out withsome straight gas?

I have heard that the mixing of the petroleum based oils with sythetics is not a good thing to do and I want to make sure that I don't run into any problems.

Will the synthetic cause any other problems such as leaking? I know that on my sports car, making the switch from Castrol 20/50 to a synthetic caused oil to start leaking from spots it never did before.

Thanks -

Mark

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I have switched back and forth from Maxima 927 and the Amsoil products a couple of times because of delivery problems with the Amsoil. I always take off the carb bowl and drain the fuel in there also. When the bowl is off its a good time to give the carb a good cleaning. I have never had any problems with the synthetics at all. Its probably a good idea to find an oil you like and stick with it.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Just drain it all out. You can run it out of the carb and that is easier than draining. I do not like to mix oil types or even brands, but only very seldom will there be a problem. KDXs are very forgiving on their diet. Cheers John

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Nothing wrong with mixing synth oil with regular for a 2-stroke bike. There are many synth blends of oil out there (50/50 mix). Gives you the best of both worlds. Go for it and --No Worries! :cool:

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Mark I just made the same change over last week. Drained the tank only and refilled with 40:1 mixed Interceptor. No problems and you will notice MUCH less smoke and little or no spooge dripping from your pipe! I've been trying out different oils and mix ratios in the few months I've been back onto a 2 stroke and this has been my favorite. Have Fun, Jim G

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Yep. Me too. Just burned the last of my five gallon jug of natural oil mix and switched to Amsoil synthetic 40:1 (blue stuff). Ran the bike until the reserve showed signs of no gas, tipped the bike over for a spell to drain out some from the carb ant that was it. I noticed improved throttle response, and it likes to rev up quicker.

i likey ;)

I asked my buddies that race pro motocross and snow cross about problems switching back and forth. They looked at me like I had two heads! :think: There should be no problem between the two.

Sometimes coincidences can turn into poor theories.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Check this out,

I run Torco full synthetic. It's 16.50 a litre up here. I wanted to change to non-synthetic or at least a blend and sirtech advised I tear the engine completely down and clean it before I do the switch over.

Perhaps this would be because the bike has run the same type of synthetic for the life of the bike? '94 KDX 200.

Top Bottom