SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
I've narrowed down my choices on a new pickup. Currently have a 96 Dakota Club Cab with the V6.

I've looked at both of these in V6 models and I'm leaning towards the Toyota (even though I've owned this Dodge since new). My concern is the length of the bed compared to the Dak. I know a Dakota Quad Cab can fit a bike with the tailgate down but the Yota gives up a few inches.

Anyone with a Toyota Quad Cab care to comment about carrying a bike? I searched the threads and one person bought one but no comments on carrying a bike.

Now to figure out if a Prerunner model will fit under the garage door! It's 2.5 inches taller then the Dakota. I'd also lose about 5 inches in bed width.

Thoughts/Comments/Criticism? No, I won't buy a fullsize, it's gotta fit in the garage. I've tried to fit a Ram, won't go.

Brad

SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
I kinda jumped the gun on posting this one.

I went and looked at the Toyota's at lunch and didn't care for how shallow the bed area is.

Unless I get talked out of it, I'm leaning heavily towards the Dak (especially since I got bed measurements today). Drives much nicer then my 96 too.

SpokerAce

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 2000
It's funny you mention the V8 Ivan. Turns out the dealer I was at has two websites. One through Chrysler and one they do on their own.

Now that I've seen the prices on their own website, a V8 is affordable.

If the job holds out for one more month (and I'm given some idea as to when the buyer takes over), then I'll be getting the Quad Cab.

I made the dealer bust out a tape measure so I could check the bed length on the Dakota.

Stumpy

May 31, 2002
I have an '02 Dakota Quad Cab with the 4.7L V-8 and I can easily carry two bikes in the back. Some of the guys on here saw the setup I used to get to TNT last month... WR and Husaberg in the bed and three bikes on a trailer behind it. With no load I get b/w 16 and 18 mpg; with that load I got about 12 mpg... not to shabby. I love the back seat room as compared to the other 4-door trucks on the market. I only wish there was some storage room under the rear seat. I also have the split bench in the front and I wish I had the buckets... mainly for the added space that the full console has as compared to the fold down console. Picky, picky..

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I bought a '01 Tacoma Double Cab Limited (it's for sale, BTW, thanks to the wife getting her way on a '02 Suburban).

The Tacoma is the tightest vehicle I've ever owned (it is my first Jap). No less than 2 months on the Chevy and I've got a rattle when I apply the brakes.

The reason I bought the Tacoma was (1) the quality and (2) the rear seats are real unlike the larger chiropratic-friendly Tundra.

I carry a '96 CR500R (full size bike, mind you) in the 'Coma. With the tailgate it fits perfect. If I put the bike in on one side (not dead center), I can even swing the rear wheel around and get the bed extender in ok. I know it looks short compared to the long beds, but it fits in my garage!

I refuse to buy another Dodge because I think their transmissions stink. I love the looks, the motor, everything except the tranny. I've heard too many bad things. Also, I experienced one fail while moving my family across country from VA to CO in mid-July! This, on a Grand Caravan at 60,000 miles just a month after the 60k check-up. So $1700 later, I could drive again. My only Dodge truck experience was a full-size '78 (fugly) with 318 and auto. It was bullet-proof.

What I've found between the American trucks and Toyotas are that the Japs don't have all the fancy gauges (temps, etc) and stuff. It just works and works well. Unfortunately, you pay for it up front compared to the domestic trucks.

If your interested (skip if not)....here's the stats: '01 Tacoma, Limited, A/T, 4x4 TRD off-road package, black with oak int, 6 speaker system, bedliner, soft cover, keyless entry and alarm. Oh, also it has the 3.4V6 engine with Toyota Racing Development Supercharger ( :p ) installed by the dealer (so you get the 5 yr warranty on it). PM me if interested. I hate to sell it, but I can't afford to pay two payments. Now, if I could get my wife to work......

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
To be honest HomeMadeSin the transmission in the Dakota QC backed by the 4.7 is a completely different transmission than you've ever had before in a dodge, especially in a front wheel drive Caravan. This is a completely different motor and transmission for Dodge and the so far, the results have been excellent. I've gotten rid of my 2000 Dodge Quad Cab 4.7 Auto SpokerAce but it would haul my KTM with the tailgate closed. I would have like the Tacoma that HomeMadeSin bought but the two deciding factors for me were the fugly auto stick, and the rear seats. Otherwise, a very nice (mini) truck.

Top Bottom