spongebob8

Jan 19, 2003
Help I have a 99'kdx 220 and the tail light bulb keeps blowing I have replaced it with factory bulbs and aftermarket any help also my buddies kdx's have the same problem so it's not the bike just the bulbs.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
First thing I would check is the tail-light socket,might be grounding out ,my friend with a KLX just had the same problem,if this checks out ok try to get the voltage regulator tested.

spongebob8

Jan 19, 2003
Everything checks out o.k. like I said I have two buddies with kdx's that have the same problem as me it has to be the bulbs need a better bulb maybe thanks for any help with this

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Better chance of it being a vibration issue. The kdx taillight assy gets sloppy loose. Takes some messin' with to 'fix' it.

The isolation mounts (rubber) get loose. You can either put a washer in as a shim (between the rubber flanges..in the middle of the isolator), or you can trim the metal spacer the bolts go through to squeeze 'em more.

I don't know why you'd assume the VR if the headlight is ok. If the VR goes out, the coil puts out enough voltage to blow every lighting element sky-high.

(This is going to be a big help)...I don't recall the series number, but the oem lightblub is pretty good sized, physically. I have much better luck with a different series..same base config of course, but the bulb is about 1/2 the physical size...something like a 1004?

Much better luck meaning I haven't changed the taillight in well over a year. Changed several of them before that. Changing the last time was co-incident with 'fixing' the mounts, though.

But I'll bet'cha $5 it has nothing to do with the VR.

Top Bottom