LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
...shove it!

WE ARE WIRELESS, BABY!!!  :aj:

Yes, even out in the sticks of upstate NY, we now have wireless ISP, 802.11b, thank-you-very-much!!   My first speed test showed 1800kbs, next one was a little slower, at 1150kbs.   I just checked out Lou's DirtWeek DVD teaser flick--very cool.  Usually have to look at that stuff at work.

And now, for my favorite part---  AOL, you can kiss my....bandwidth! :moon:  

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Just got cable after years of dialup - sweet - our new area had no high speed connection for years :)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Nice!

Still stuck on Dailup here. I can goto DSL for $50 but cant seem to force myself to do it.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I just went DSL a few months ago, $30 a month now its going for $27, when i did go DSL, my old comp couldn't handle it, so $1,600 later, here i am :laugh:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
I'm sticking to my 56K modem. It's good to be old school :p

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Geez I still have to use a couple of tin cans & some string out at my place!

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Cool Lori!
I was stuck back on dial-up for a few days when we were moving... uggg! Sure was nice being able to tell the Satellite people to shove it, on cable now and it rocks. Averaging 3MB down and 256K up, with very low ping times, sure is nice!

Welcome to the broadband world :aj:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If I tighten the string, and the weather is right, I can get 28,800bps.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by Jaybird
If I tighten the string, and the weather is right, I can get 28,800bps.

Tell me about it.  Our closest non-toll access number for AOL was 25 miles away.  We were lucky to get 33kbs to 36kbs, but got booted off frequently.  (Usually when I was trying to upload a critical file).  Too far away for DSL, and cable doesn't come this far out of town.

A few months ago, I did a search for wireless ISPs.  I was surprised how many there are out there.  This is one site  http://www.onelasvegas.com/wireless/  scroll through the garbage at the top down to the U.S. map, then click on your state.  That's how I found the one in our area-- they didn't really advertise locally.  We weren't in line-of-sight to the first two towers, but within the last few weeks they put in a 3rd tower that's about 3 miles from us.  It's been a long wait, but I'm glad I'm not tied to that phone line anymore!

Top Bottom