Talking of seal heads

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Do most seal heads have the bush below the seal and so run dry-mx tech seal heads apparently have the seal below the bush and this would seem more sensible to me.

Any ideas?

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I agree on this. I've been running a aftermarket sealhead in my YZ since I bought it new in 2000. No bushing wear yet. Usually the bushing is toast in 6months on a OEM sealhead. Really, it's one of the better buys available for the shock.

kymx

Oct 22, 2002
i think oem is better because the bushing it being lubricated.
i could be wrong please explain how those seal heads work.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Nope. On the OEM parts the seal is between the bushing and oil. On the MX Tech versions the bushing is below the seal and riding in the oil.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Another intresting aspect of OEM sealhads is the apprent poor tolerancing of the bushing to the shaft. We've struggled to find the right amount of "interfereance" but I'm convinced a tighter fit is way better than the lose fit of the OEM.

There are wide parameters in seal design, and finding the right seal type, and compression on the seal is also important. Curently I'm working on using a teflon back-up ring for the quad seal in my sealhead to reduce the compression factor, and reduce seal "exstrusion".

Showa dust seals seem to work better than KYB's as less dirt is found in past the seal.

BR,
Jer

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…