Tall Gearing on my 97 YZ 250

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Does anybody have experience with one? We're trying to make this thing have some hit. It just bogs and even when it's not bogging it really lacks the low end punch of my dad's 01 YZ 250. I'm in the process of adding a vforce reed block, but I was curious if gearing could play a role. Stock is 13-49, and that seems extremely tall. Does it have something to do with the way the tranny is geared? Or is it just to compliment the screamin top end on this thing? Would going to like 13-51 or 52 make a difference in the lack of hit?

skyman

Jun 28, 2001
I have a 95 YZ250, and it has 44 horse at the rear wheel. Some minor mods though, some head work, PC pipe and stinger, Rad Valve. I am running a 52 on te rear and it really woke it up. I am actually thinking of going back to a 50 now that the mods have been done. It is a bit pipy on the track now.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
I have a 98 YZ 250 and the thing is stock as far as the engine goes except for a PC exhaust system and boyesen power reeds, I am running 14/50 as the gearing and it seems to have a pretty nice hit to it, but I do want to get some V force reeds as well, I have heard that they are the cure for the mid-90's yamaha bottom end. I also replaced my exhaust valves since they were worn beyond limits stated in Mr. Gorr's book, that added some hit too, hope that helps,
Jeff
p.s. for more bottom end just put a 50 tooth rear on and leave it at that, since putting a 14 on the front will sort of counter balance the larger rear sprocket.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Revise my previous statement---- If you are looking to improve the "hit" meaning you want to increase the hit of the powerband, then the only thing you can do is make engine modifications, changing the sprocket gearing won't emphasize the powerband, it just moves the power to different places, so with a larger rear sprocket the power will be shifted towards more acceleration and less top end, but the hit won't be harder or softer, you can add flywheel weights if you want to smooth out the hit, so look to see if the bike has a flywheel weight on it, if not then you can't do anything about it except send it to Eric Gorr and have the exhaust port raised (or is it lowered?) and have the cylinder turned down for higher compression, check out his website (look to the left)
Jeff

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
if its bogging and lacking low end pazzaz, it might be that you just need a new top end and sort the jetting out. its suprising how much difference these things make.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
My 1997 YZ is very similar to yours. I like mine geared with a 13/51. It is more fun down low than with the 14/51.

Top speed is all I need. Running next to the freeway I would estimate it to be near 70 mph.

I think my next rear sproket will be a 50 and I will be sticking with the 13 front. The Rad Valve made a decent difference in the lower response, for me.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…