MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I want some opinions on what I should do to my '06 YZ 144 gearing untill this weekend it didn't feel that off but I might have just been ridding past it into the upper gears to really notice. I rode indoor this weekend for the first time on it and I almost had a bad get off, lately it was outdoor sand style tracks.

Okay this indoor I have ridden many times before on my 125 and I had to say like 99% of the time I could ride the tracks in 2nd gear no problem. Well the 144 just felt off! 2nd gear wasn't tall enough just spun threw it way to fast getting lots of wheel spin up. 3rd felt better but it was lacking that instant snap unlike 2nd gear were it's easier to get into that mid range hit. I decided the day was over with after my 2nd practice when I cased this simple double onto a table and you doubled off. I didn't crash but came damn close! It was cause 3rd gear was lacking that snap was taking alittle to long to get into the mid hit. Was taking too much concentration to hit it consistantly. I really felt kinda like I was between gears.

Right now it's the stock 13/48 still and i'm due for a new chain/sprocket combo. The 144 just seems to spin threw 1st and 2nd gears to qwickly. I want it to stay close to what it is but I really need more pull out of the lower gears. I was thinking 14/50. The 14 would give it the longer pull it lacking and the 50 would sorta counter making everything to tall. ?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I'd recommend getting 2 or 3 fronts and 2 or 3 rears and change them for each different track as needed.

At present I have 11 and 12 fronts and 49, 51 and 52 rears. 2 or 3 of them are pretty worn, but not so much so that I can't use them if needed.

I'm currently on 12/51, but will experiment as needed.

I'd try going with a 14 front at first - it's cheap and will provide a BIG difference.

You could also look for a 46 for the rear.

Right now you're at a 3.69:1 ratio. If you switch to 14/50, you'll be at 3.57:1 - not that big a big difference. 13/46 would be 3.54:1. 14/48 would be 3.43:1.

Then again, going the other way might solve the problem as well - it just depends on which gear you want to be in at a particular time - 2nd or 3rd . . .

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I want more pull from 2nd gear it will make rhythm sections much better I all ready got a 50 rear given to me to try out. Finding out the front is unique to this newer motor though.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Yea but also got a V3 and the factory fatty and shorty showed up today. just two pilot sizes over stock and 4 up on the main from stock 3rd clip pos. I was thinking maybe go back down one on the pilot to a 45 from the 50 in it now. Hey how come ya didn't say the factory fatty had a different bend to the header area. I think a new air fliter is in order and time to really start jetting it better I agree. But I don't think it's going to totally cure what i'm looking for. indoor just really showed how fast I was going threw 1st 2nd it's like bang bang damn i'm in 3rd all ready.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Try a 46 or 47 rear. best to gear it for a tight indoor track that you never get past 2nd. or? you can gear it so that you never use 1st, just 2nd and 3rd... 49 or 50...thats what id do, some riders like going down to first, i gear for a crisp 2nd with a bit of clutch, i never 1st gear unless its soooo tight.... did you ever advance your timing?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Yea I don't want to use 1st tons but how you describe using 2nd more I want to be able to keep it in 2nd still be able to rev it up right now it feels like it just wants to spin and not hook up. I find myself running out of usable power it's making more now so the tire rather spin then hook up. Driving me nuts cause it's right in the good part of the power band I can ride 2nd untill it really hits in the mid it just all go's to waste after that then there's to much tire spin. Either back off the gas or upshift.

No I haven't adjusted the timing I was told that the marks from the factory or just a tad bit off ? I think they suggested advancing it to correct the factory goof.

OverheatedR

Jan 10, 2006
Hey MXP1MP, I read a review on an EG 144CC bigbore and the person ran into the same problem as you with the wheelspin out of turns with less revvs and shorter shifts between gears. They said that they fixed the problem by swtching from a shorty silencer to a powercore2 which they said had significantly smoothed out the lowend, but still gave the heavy hit at mid and revved out almost equally to stock without much wheelspin at all out of corners. If I were you, i'd definitely try this as I'm sure it will only help you out with your problem here without having to mess with gear ratio's and what not. Also, maybe try going down a tooth in the rear and see if that does any good for you. :)

Top Bottom