Tank bolts

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Any idea on how to get them out .I thought that if I could get to them I could just cut them with a hacksaw blade only.looks like maybe brass inserts in tank being plastic.I posted in kdx site and then thought that I should have posted here.Thanks for any help.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Had the same problem on an yz 80 recently.I managed to force of the rad guard over the screw,and hold the brass "square" nut with a set of pliers!Didnt look too good afterwards,and had to use a bit of super-glue around the nut, but the new plastic covered the damage..........

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
If they are spinning, is there a chance you could just remove the entire brass insert with a little pry? Then epoxy back into place. Good luck
Lew

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i just pulled my shroud off over the screw and left it all in,,it stays on pretty well when i pop it back over it.

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Thanks for the replys.Its the tank bolts here and not the shroud.The tank bolts you cant even get to very easy because they lay next or under the frame.

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Finally fixed last night.Just for information for anyone else and it worked pretty good.center punched and started with the smallest drill bit I had and taped the bit the length of bolt and started working my way up to the size of bolt.After about 3/4 of bolts gone,just broke them off and removed tank,and then removed remaining bolt left in threads with easy out.Then cleaned treads with a 6.0 -1 tape.Hope this helps someone in the future as the inserts were in perfect shape when I finished.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…