jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Been doing the dist 17 HS for about 5 years now, and dont need to know for myself but I got my best friend into trying racing now. Ive been to alot of the dist races but dont think I ever made it to Taylorville. I dont want to make his first one a real tough one so he doesnt end up with the wrong idea. He can ride pretty good, around our place where there are NO hills. So I am mostly worried about how hilly it is there.

Anybody out there been there, or are working the race, or know it real well as to how bad the hills might be ??

Hopefully the weather will hold out.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I've been to the MX track, never paid attention to the trails, but doubt the terrain is too extreme as the MX track is pretty flat.

Here is the site - there are photos of the trails that show a few smaller hills:

http://www.southforkdirtriders.com/

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Hey Jeff - Taylorville would be a great place for someone to try a hare scramble for the first time. Not too many hills, a little mud when it's wet. It's been a couple years since I raced there, but there were a bunch of jumps in some open areas, where you couldn't see the landing, and most of the landings were big muddy ruts. It's also pretty easy to get to.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
KatooMer,

Do they use the MX course as part of the harescramble? I haven't been tere for a few years, but from what I remember there wasn't many trails. I really don't want to go to a harescramble and end up spending half of my time on an MX type course.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
No, we didn't ride any of the MX track. The jumps I was talking about were left over from whatever activities went on there before it became a recreational property. More like small ridges that were incorporated into the course. The MX track is a full-blown outdoor course...looks like it'd be fun if I was an MX guy.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
5th Vet 30t A. rode real well had a good start. Flat course, (good for TOTALL), dusty, very dusty, did I say dust?
Didnt really care for the type of course. Way to open. The South fork dirt riders have a real good place there as far as the buildings, MOTOX track, pit area, and organization, and they did a good job overall. :cool: Dont know if I will make the 3 hour trip for that one again though.

TOTALL, he did okay was running real good lap times, then got hung up at the creek crossing bottle neck, and lost a whole lap. If it hadnt been for that he would have done alot better.

Best part of the day.
I was sitting on the start line, we were delayed about 10 minutes because some minis were stuck out on the course, but I was sitting on the line when I looked down at the side panel of the guy next to me. I was reading all the sponsors and noticing he had a pretty fancy, looking graphics when I noticed it said "Johnny Murphree". I had to ask and sure enough it was Johnny Murphree, of the AMA grand national Dirt Track series. He is extremely nice guy and to my left was Robert Pearson of the same series. Needless to say I kinda got a little nervous, but I never saw Murphree again, and I passed Pearson in the mud bog and he never passed me again. :aj:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
those guys use HS racing for practice all year long. I picked Johnny up at Oakford's HS last fall at the state champ race. LOL he was power sliding, and high sided of all things!!!! those knobbies let go on him! but your right he is friendly and took a bunch of pictures with the group. kinda prooves some of those dirt track guys can turn right!

wardy

Top Bottom