Tear in base of airfilter already?

HooliganR6

Jun 15, 2002
Keep in mind...this is my first dirtbike. So this was the first time I have cleaned a airfilter. :)

I did everything by the book, read post on here and proceeded to remove and clean/re-oil my air filter. This is the stock one and only had max 3 hours on it. When I began running some gas through it to start cleaning it I noticed some tears in the darkner base foam that meets the air intake in the airbox. I was pretty carefull taking out the cage so not sure what caused the tears and rips so easy! Are the stock filters pretty cheap and flimsy? I oiled it anyway, but am afriad to use it now in fear that it may not seal 100% and risk something getting through. I guess I am just wondering what, if anything did I do wrong so I dont do it again.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
HooliganR6 said:
Keep in mind...this is my first dirtbike. So this was the first time I have cleaned a airfilter. :)

I did everything by the book, read post on here and proceeded to remove and clean/re-oil my air filter. This is the stock one and only had max 3 hours on it. When I began running some gas through it to start cleaning it I noticed some tears in the darkner base foam that meets the air intake in the airbox. I was pretty carefull taking out the cage so not sure what caused the tears and rips so easy! Are the stock filters pretty cheap and flimsy? I oiled it anyway, but am afriad to use it now in fear that it may not seal 100% and risk something getting through. I guess I am just wondering what, if anything did I do wrong so I dont do it again.

Not real sure what caused the tear.. I'de replace it. But I sure would never use Gasoline to clean it.. Get a good cleaner like PJ1. With gas prices where they are now, it's almost as cheap to get the right stuff.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I use grease cutting dish soap to clean my filter. Takes forever but its cheaper then the cleaner and I will not use gas on a filter.

I would just replace the filter with a aftermarket filter. Its alot cheaper then a rebuild.

Top Bottom