"Tech Topic" Replacing linkage bearings

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Here are some useful tips for replacing linkage and swingarm bearings without a shop press.

First pull the parts off of the bike and clean them really good.
If your model has the thrust washers on the outside, like a CR or KX, remove them with a small screwdriver along with the seals.
Clean all remaining grease out of the inside of the linkage or swingarm.

Now whatever you do, do not take a hammer and punch to the bearings. The small lip on the bearing cage will break off and make them even harder to remove.I use a bench vise with copper jaw covers (so the teeth do not eat up the aluminum) as a press and a socket to push the bearings out .Find a socket that is slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the bearing cage (to fit into the linkage) and on the other side use a larger socket that will allow the bearing to be pushed into it. Now getting this all lined up with only two hands can be a little tricky at first,but it can be done.
Tighten the vise down and press the bearings through the linkage and into the larger socket. If they are really stubborn, you can use a propane torch and put a little heat on the linkage to make it expand and the bearings will come out easier.

To install the new bearings use the same smaller socket to push them in(with the vise) and countersink them to the correct depth.
Use a plastic hammer to install the new seals. Grease the bearings with a good high quality extreme pressure grease and reassemble
onto the bike.

For the really tough bearings that refuse to be removed with the vise method. I use my porting tool and grind ---CAREFULLY---- through the bearing race ,without grinding into the linkage. Once you have ground through the race it will fall out.

Good luck!!!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Pete,

What do you use when a linkage bearing is in the frame?

My CR has a linkage bearing pressed into the frame below the swingarm pivot.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Farmer John,
What you need is the same socket setup and a piece of 5/16 all thread or a suitable length bolt. Use the all thread or bolt to pull the bearings out and to press them back in. Honda made this one a little tricky to do because it is hard to get to. ----Pete.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I use the threaded rod to remove/install bearings and it works good if you don’t have a vise that’s big enough. If you do use the threaded rod, make sure that you grease the threads so they don’t fail when pressing bearing that come out hard. I have a few extra pieces of rod to use when the threads get stripped.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Pete & RM guy,

Thats cool, Kind of like a wrist pin tool.
Actually I have done this job enogh times that I took an old C-clamp & modified it by welding on a piece of steel pipe & an old socket, but I wanted a few other ideas.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
If I could add...
I have found that putting anti-seize on the od of the bearing before installation aids in the installation. It doesn't take much to gall these aluminum brg surfaces and get a brg in sideways.
I also scotchbrite the brg bores before installation just to make sure they are clean and free of burrs.
Straight bearing installation is something they don't teach in schools.
Great topic!

Top Bottom