MotoX10

Jun 28, 2001
I'm kind of new to the dirtbiking/motocross scene. Could anyone be kind enough to provide me with some links on riding techniques such as braking, cornering, shifting, etc... Thanks a bunch!

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I know of three really good links, some even consider them the missing links.

They are; Wardy,Old 89'r and H L Gomer and the best part is they're right here.

Very sound advice IMO

So stay tuned

MotoX10

Jun 28, 2001
Well, I have fairly broad questions, and I highly doubt that they would like to spend their day (or would they?;)) typing 50 pages on how to take a jump, or something along those lines.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Stand up as much as possible.
Keep your weight back through whoops, while braking and going downhill.
Move forward when going uphill or cornering.
Don't grab your front brake when coming into a corner.
Keep your elbows up.
Grip the tank with your knees.
Two fingers on clutch and brake lever.
You should be on the balls of your feet on the pegs except when you shift or brake.

There are far, far too many things to address with such a basic question. Ride a little and then figure out what you need to work on. I would HIGHLY recommend Gary Semic's books and riding technique manuals. Take a class if you can afford it. Ride as much as you possibly can.

MotoX10

Jun 28, 2001
Originally posted by firecracker22

There are far, far too many things to address with such a basic question.

That's exactly why I am looking for some literature on the web about this stuff.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I have a Gary Semics book that I got at a Barnes & Noble I think. Has lots of answers to most any question. Might be worth checking out. Of course, I did study that book more than school books, and I still can't ride worth crap, but at least it's not cause I don't know what do do. :silly:

MotoX10

Jun 28, 2001
Thanks for all the links and everything, but I'm not going to be racing motocross, or take it seriously for that matter. So, I will pass on the schools. I just would like some general info so that when I visit a track I don't look like a fool ;). Thanks again though!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Dude, that's what the book is for. I don't race MX nor do I plan on it...ever. But it teaches you valuable lessons in riding in general, stuff you can you use on the track or trail.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
A beginning rider I know bought one of **** Burleson's tapes. DB was 8 time national enduro champ. I watched the tape for beginning riders, and it was excellent IMO. Not sure where to get one but they used to be availalbe in many cycle stores and also from ads in the mags and Cycle News.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
LOL, it took me a minute to figure out what those stars were for. :confused:

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
Yeah the D-word never really does make it past the filter!

MotoX10,
If you do a search on the technique forum on a particular topic (jumping cornering ect.)
You'll find lots of good info in those dead threads

Top Bottom