Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
in need of a pair of better knee guards, i went to my local stores. all of my local stores actually, and the best ones i could find were the Fox Pivots. not surprisingly they were also the most expensive.

first up, they look totaly trick. probaly the best looking knee guards out there, but since it goes under your pants i guess it makes no difference. the shin guard extends into your boot, but the trick is that the knee protector is hinged from the shin protector. like the name suggests, it pivots so the knee is always fully protected.
there is heaps of padding inside and it is easily removeable for washing. there is more than enough plastic protection for the knee and shin on the face of the guard, but there could be more on the sides. it wouldn't matter in a crash, but would be better for gripping the bike with your knees. it's hard to complain about this really, becasue i didn't notice when actually riding.
the thing that i didn't like was the short straps. they said they were an adult size, but i have them adjusted all the way and they just fit me. forget it if your name is Arnie. there are two straps, both velcroe.
all up i reckon they are pretty damn good, and would buy them again in a second. they are expensive, but i guess that makes you use them. has anyone else tried these guards? i haven't used any other high quality guard, but these are the best ones i've seen.
oh, and they also come with their own carry bag!

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
I used the cheaper model of Fox knee guards until a footpeg went right through them. They sure saved my knee that day and I think I will replace them with the pivot. Thanks for the info!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Beware if you have big calves. The part that goes into your boots is rather bulky. I got them, and ended up trading with my dad for the cheaper Fox model, because I could actually get my boots clamped down right. However, for my dad with the smaller calves they work fine.

mxPro738

Jan 26, 2002
I wore the Pivots all last season and swear by them. I had a few huge getoffs, and several minors ones... many times landing right on the knee. My knees never suffered though. There were times that I could tell they made a difference.

I too have pretty big calves, so I don't bother to fasten the bottom strap since that part of the Pivot will be held in place by the boot anyway. I have Gaerne boots which have adjustable-length buckles, so they were able to accomodate everything just fine.

Normally, I wouldn't endorse any riding gear since a lot of it is all the same, but this product made a particular impression on me. (I even remember thinking after a couple pretty good crashes - "Man, these knee pads are cool!"

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
My experience

I haven't tried the pivot kneed guards, but I have tried the $15-$20 Fox Knee/shin guards. I do NOT recommend the cheap ones (I don't not think any of the cheap ($15-$20) style kneed/shin guards are that great, I am not just picking on FOX). The first big tumble I took off, I got a rock right on my kneecap, the stupid guards had shifted while riding and flying through the air. I should have spent the extra 30 bucks, in fact I think I may be getting the pivot guards before my next big ride, I think my kneecaps are worth 25 bucks a piece.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom