TEXAS INVADES MEXICO aka Uncle Rogers Tour of Mexico

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Three (continued)

I had to leave a sticker ... if you stay in Hotel Mary, Room 109, tell me if it is still there.

123431157-M.jpg

As 0600 would soon arrive, we turned in.

Conclusion for the day ...

As is often the case when rides form up, people sign on that we do not know well. Skinny and I had known each other over the web for a year or so, but personally, only a few months. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together and realized this bit of good fortune could be one of the things that I was supposed to “learn” from this experience. I had discovered a real “gem” of a friend!

¡Salud Flaco!

Day Four soon

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Tony,
I'm really enjoying your ride report. :) Your Editorial - Why do we like motorcycles was over the top and written with true passion :cool:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Sawblade said:
Tony,
I'm really enjoying your ride report. :) Your Editorial - Why do we like motorcycles was over the top and written with true passion :cool:

Thanks, it is kinda funny, but I really enjoy writing these reports. Now if I could only figure out a way to get that to pay, I would be in hog heaven.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Four - Monday

January 8, 2007

0600 came early, but not as early as the Chicken Bus. As Skinny indicated, there was a steady stream of folks going by our room to gather for the bus from 0400ish on.

Tony Travel Tidbit

Get as far away from the front entry of a hotel as possible!

Back to the story ...

Getting ready to go consisted of putting on my ride gear. I had not planned on packing it, so there was not enough room for the bulk.

Arturo was out front when I stuck my head out about 0530 and we quickly wrapped up getting gear tossed into the truck and Skinny and Gimpmeister (me) headed down to the plaza with our bikes, while they backed the truck up to the edge of the plaza. It would be far easier to lift the bikes 9 inches than 3 feet ...

Loaded ... now to tie them down ...

123431949-M.jpg

An aside ...

During our time in Batopilas, I had been struck by the fact that Batopilas was absent trash. I had seen the trash truck about on Saturday, but there was nothing ... NOTHING ... on the ground. The town was virtually spotless. Don’t get me wrong ... I was not complaining.

How did they do it?

It was all the ladies of the town. At 0600 on Monday, while we were loading the bikes, they were everywhere, sweeping leaves and paper that had been blown about. The respect that people showed for the clean town during the day was directly attributable to the efforts of these unseen ladies toiling in the predawn darkness. To say the least, I was impressed.

Back to the story ...

I was impressed by Batopilas, very impressed. I had enjoyed my time there and looked forward to getting back someday soon.

¡Adiós!

¡Gracias!

I will return!

123432263-M.jpg

We’re off!

Safely ensconced in the cab of the Ford, we started rolling at 0621 towards Creel. Batopilas was asleep, except for the afore mentioned ladies. The sounds of Mexican oom-pah, quietly mixed with the rhythm of the tires on the cobblestone street, serenaded our departure.

We meandered through town, taking roads that apparently were one way, although not so marked. Did I screw up when I arrived? Probably, but nobody seemed to care.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
It was but a short while before we stopped though ... We needed gas, gasolina, motion lotion ... whatever you call it.

A quick beep of the horn, a shout and the light at the “gas station” clicked on. I use the term “gas station” loosely. It was but a hose that snaked out of a hole in the wall of a building. Clearly, this was not a Pemex.

Geo/Political Commentary ...

Capitalism is a great thing and here it was at work. I could only guess, but I suspect that someone (mucho loco for sure) made the trip between Batopilas and civilization to get the gas that flowed into the tank of the Ford. A little markup and everyone was happy. Will the Mexican government ever get it? Who knows, but with a very efficient private mass transit system (Chicken Busses) everywhere there was profit to be made and Carta Blanca Signs in every town that supported more than five people, you would think they would. Based upon the efficiency of the transit system, the “more developed” countries have much to learn though.

Back to the story ...

OK, I went a bit crazy trying to get “the shot” ...

123432703-M.jpg

123433241-M.jpg

123433679-M.jpg

Dawn was coming to the canyon ...

123434611-M.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Upward we snaked, unraveling the route of a few days earlier. My lord, it is beautiful as it unfolds in the growing light. Dawn is my favorite time of the day. To experience dawn in La Bufa Canyon was a VERY memorable experience. At some point I point out the window at an airplane. It is heading south down the canyon, as we crawl northward. With pantomime, we learned there was a fly-in development nearby. Oh boy, here comes money.

The crack in the windshield is somehow symbolic of my adventure in life the last few months ...

123435316-M.jpg

123437958-M.jpg

We stopped at a bridge that I should have stopped at on Saturday to photograph. Maybe I would not be in a truck right now ...

123445332-M.jpg

One more, looking back at the bridge, shrouded in shadows

123446772-M.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
As we round a blind corner, we are faced with a 1 1/4 ton Ford truck with a stakebed and duallies. Of course, it would be a narrow spot. The passenger jumps out and they back up into the corner as tightly as possible. We ease forward, trucks barely inches apart. Mirrors are folded in as trucks pass. I peer out the passenger window and see about 18 inches of roadway and a huge amount of air beyond the tires of the pickup. Eternity is but a bobble away. Slipping by, we all breath a sigh and grins fill the cab.

Ever understanding the wants of man, we soon encounter a cantina. This cantina is so far away from everything else in the world that I am reminded of “the restaurant at the end of the universe” celebrated by Douglas Adams.

123447141-M.jpg

123447670-M.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Continuing northward, we soon encounter a caravan ... We have found the Chicken Bus, closely followed by another stakebed truck. The rear of the stakebed is full of people, but not nearly as crowded as the Chicken Bus.

A left blinker comes on and the truck slows. We pass and soon scoot around the Chicken Bus as well. Wow, that sucker is packed!

123448461-M.jpg

Rounding a corner, I spy some tents and think this is a silly place for backpackers to set up camp. Whoa, these campers are in camo and carry automatic weapons. We stop and they proceed to poke through our stuff. Not to deeply, just skimming for effect. These are kids, young kids actually. Most appeared to be younger than 20. Soon the Chicken Bus arrives and another soldier apparently asks all the folks standing and sitting in the aisles to disembark. Soon there were 20~25 people milling about and the three guys dealing with us lost interest as they contemplated the number of folks in the bus.

123448775-M.jpg

Not a half a mile of dirt remained as we got moving. Soon we were on the asphalt and we headed straight to the Pemex. While we were topping off the Ford, the stakebed headed by on the road. He honked and we all waved and grinned. We did not see the Chicken Bus again until Creel, some 4 hours later.

Back underway, only 75 Km of asphalt lay between us and Creel. The road unraveled quickly and we soon rounded a corner and came to south side of Creel. Never had a town looked so inviting.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Intervention Number Four

Intervention Four proved to be a good thing. Upon arrival in Creel we were greeted by the smiling face of Micah. He had seen us pass and come up to the corner. The sweep riders were back at Margaritas. Cool, back among friends!

Micah had trashed his water pump cover and the troops had rallied around him to get him back on the road.

I volunteered my bike and all except Micah and I headed out to go to Basaseachi Falls. It is after noon, but they were confident that they could make it.

Meanwhile, Micah and I spent the afternoon perusing Creel, purchasing souvenirs for folks at home and getting to know each other.

Being slapped down a couple of days ago hurt, but this slowing down gig was turning out nice. Micah and I had some great conversations going and I found one more really nice person to add to my life.

Soon the sweep riders were back, and for the first time in the entire trip, they did not achieve their goal. Like many goals, Basaseachi Falls was over the horizon, shrouded in the mist of inexperience, when they headed out. There were rumors that asphalt was on the way and that the road was graded, well graded actually. I wasn’t there, but I understand that well graded meant mud, and judging from the front of my bike upon it’s return, goo would be more accurate.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
In any case, after cleaning up, we all headed to Tio Molcas for the debriefing.

123449383-M.jpg

Roger explaining ...

123454055-M.jpg

Tim listening ...

123453648-M.jpg

Jeremy

123451138-M.jpg

Micah and Skinny

123451671-M.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Mike

123454481-M.jpg

Gene

123454867-M.jpg

The gang ...

123450856-M.jpg

Following the debriefing, we rambled back to Margarita’s, consumed dinner and adjourned to the bar in Margarita’s for a nightcap. Skinny and I soon departed for sleep ...

This concludes Day Four ...

Please keep your arms and legs in the car until the ride comes to a complete halt.

Thanks again for coming and enjoy the rest of your adventure here at Six ... oops ... DirtRider.Net

Oh yea ...

Stop Laughing!!

This is turning into a kick ass ride!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Five - Tuesday

January 9, 2007

Up early, Skinny and I emerge to blue skies and promised sunshine. Jeremy is out and about with reconstructed waterpump cover in hand. Brass fealer guages had been sacrificed to fill two holes left when the corresponding crumbs of the cover where not found, while sifting the wreckage site.

Thanks to a little JB Weld ... good as new!

123470674-M.jpg

The inside ... those are not casting marks ... those are chunks, crumbs if you will ...

123470583-M.jpg

Reinstalled

123470829-M.jpg

Trivia tidbit

How many of you have seen the mansion that JB Weld built? It is on I 30 near Sulphur Springs Texas if you are ever in the area. You can check it out at 70 MPH as you pass. Watch for the gate, it has the logo.

Back to the story ...

Intervention Number Five

Intervention number five revolves around Roger. For those of you that have not had the pleasure, let me introduce you.

123470758-M.jpg

One of the finest walking earth, Roger always goes out of his way to help other people. In this case, Roger had stepped in and procured a ride for Skinny and I to Presidio. In addition, he had Caesar call Hotel Mary to confirm that we were on the road, the morning of day four. He was prepared to mount and expedition to rescue us, assuming we were not en route.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Five (continued)

Back to the Intervention ...

Roger had talked with Caesar and he was going to carry us back in one of their pickups. All we had to do is pick the day. Wednesday was agreed upon, which left Caesar a day to wrap up things at Margarita’s and Skinny and I a day to enjoy Creel.

Roger ... Buddy, my hat is off to you for being there for us. Thanks don’t say enough!

Breakfast was served ...

Mike enjoying Café with his creamer ...

123470899-M.jpg

Soon, everyone was packing as Skinny and I watched. Like a well orchestrated team, there was no lost motion, no lost energy, as the Sweep Riders wrapped up preparations for the days journey. They were headed south on the west side of the canyons towards Urique and a rendevous with another Margarita’s Hotel.

The day promised to be full of sights, as Caesar filled them in with tidbits of information about sights and stops, not to be missed.

123470974-M.jpg

123471465-M.jpg

The day proved to be interesting for Skinny and I as well.

First up was a trip to the plaza and the store that supports the Tarahumara Indian Hospital. I had checked it out the day before, but Skinny was interested in getting memorabilia. I was on a quest for a few more things and most importantly ... a refrigerator magnet ... I had completely forgotten to look for one the day before. This I simply could not accept, as my refrigerator at home was but a vehicle to display all the magnets I have collected over the years.

123471649-M.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Five (continued)

WARNING ... Architecture to follow ...

123471864-M.jpg

Margarita’s Hostel ... on the plaza

123472180-M.jpg

123472396-M.jpg

123472716-M.jpg

123473073-M.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Five (continued)

123473925-M.jpg

123473434-M.jpg

Chicken Bus

123475072-M.jpg

We ran across Roberto at Three Amigo’s and he told us where we might be able to get some tie down straps ...

Three blocks that way, cross the road, left and next to the auto repair shop ... We were off ...

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Five (continued)

Success!!

123478436-M.jpg

Apparently you can get Carta Blanca while waiting on your car to be fixed ... nice touch ... maybe they knew Gaspipe?

Colorful, but difficult to find specific things in.

123475534-M.jpg

123476627-M.jpg

Need a turn signal cover ... perhaps a jacket?

123477227-M.jpg

Perhaps a taillight?

123477873-M.jpg

We were successful and left with to ratchet straps ... 150 pesos ... ¡Gracias!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Five (continued)

The commercial street ...

123479024-M.jpg

The “sidewalk” back to the tourist area ...

123479563-M.jpg

The sidewalk to the surrounding neighborhood ...

123480016-M.jpg

A serious cattle ramp ... I had seen White Face and Charolais about. Charolais are big enough to need the ramp

123480348-M.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Five (continued)

Success at procuring the straps drove us to the bar to celebrate ... The back (Bar) door to Tio Molcas, with Skinny looking the part of a world traveler tourist type.

123481197-M.jpg

After a beer, or three, we loaded the bikes and Caesar headed home with them for safe keeping.

Dinner, yum, but I slouched on the photos after doing so good early on and them it was off to wrap up packing, get our papers in order, etc., for the ride back to Presidio in the morning.

The sun sets on Day Five

Day Six soon.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Six - Wednesday

January 10, 2007

Well, today is our trip back to the US.

I am a bit melancholy about the way Mexico has turned out. I accept responsibility for my situation. As I mentioned above in the report, I had many warnings about this trip that I chose to ignore. I was swatted down by the adventure, but thankfully there appears to be no permanent damage to hinder further adventures. Time heals all wounds. My knee is getting better and frankly, I probably could be back riding by now. That is a questions that would have to remain unanswered, as the bikes are loaded in Caesar’s truck, and all we await, is his arrival.

One last breakfast and we are gathered our gear in the lobby. Five hundred pesos, one room key and we are good to go. Just before 9:00 AM, Caesar arrives, we toss our gear in the truck and we are off.

Now I would get to see what I missed in the darkness of Friday night. I had heard comments that it looked like the National Geographic photos of Switzerland.

Darn close in my book ... having never been to the continent anyway.

123512059-M.jpg

123512180-M.jpg

Skinny with our bikes at an el baño break

123513789-M.jpg

There were apple orchards everywhere. The trees were dormant and the surroundings quiet, but I am betting the area bustles with activity during the growing season. They had constructed a very elaborate retractable netting system that is used to protect the trees from birds. Interesting, but I didn’t get a photo.

Chihuahua came and went. We had one wrong turn near the airport, ,but all in all, we found the quickest route around Chihuahua. I had my GPS on the dash of the truck, so I captured it all.

I will be posting a copy of my track info, once I clean it up.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Day Six (continued)

Two strange buildings ... I love weird architecture

123514442-M.jpg

123514909-M.jpg

Soon we hit the toll road and came to the toll booth ... Interesting to reflect on how much had changed in a little less than a week.

123517319-M.jpg

The military checkpoint was more interested in us today and spent 5, or so, minutes checking out our gear. We did not have to open any luggage though.

The Aduana Station didn’t even notice our passing ...

Caesar

123517698-M.jpg

Soon we were in Ojinaga and at the border ... the crossing process could not have gone smoother. We turned in our vehicle permit and were only stopped briefly by the US border guards. Caesar took us straight to our trucks, after a mercy stop to get some worm dirt for Jeremy. It seems he did not have enough Skoal for the trip ...

Dinner was back at the Oasis ...

About 12:15 AM, we got a call from John and got an update on his situation. He was in Chihuahua, but was not sure about the location of his bike. More information would follow in the AM.

Sleep came quickly ...

Like Daffy said ... That’s all Folks!

I will post a conclusions thread soon, with thoughts about the trip.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Tony and Gene, this may possibly be the best Ride Report in DRN history. Great job guys and I hope to be apart of the NEXT great adventure.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
BSWIFT said:
Tony and Gene, this may possibly be the best Ride Report in DRN history. Great job guys and I hope to be apart of the NEXT great adventure.

^^^^^^^
+1..... :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'm already searching for a dual sport bike. When I get all the work done I want with the dozer and it sells, I'll have me a dual sport bike. The auction site has brand new 04, 05, 06, and 07 KLR 650's at smokin' prices. I know its a big pig but I'm sure it would handle a long trip.

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
Brain....I caught the Dual Sport bug from Tony last year and was able to tag along on a Big Bend trip in August.. :cool:

You won't be dissapointed....it's a great way for us old guys to expand our horizons. :nod:

Top Bottom