Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
I have to personally send out a big thanks to all of the dirt rider net women who have gone the extra mile to help me, Suzy and Amanda out. It will be very expensive for our trip but the memories will last a lifetime and we would also like the AMA to recognize a women's team every year. Right now we are running into another hurdle. Hugh Flemming had agreed to take 3 women but may have forgot to mention it to the board members. Those 3 members don't feel like the women's club team was advertised and therefore a team should not go this year. Since we have all made reservations hopefully the AMA will change their mind. As I have said before Suzy advertised both on DRN and over the phone so I don't know what the deal is. We will keep everyone posted and when we do go we will take a bunch of pictures for everyone to see.

Thanks Again!
Nicole

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
So what are they saying, that you wouldn't be a part of Team USA? That's an odd stance to take.

I still feel bad I wasn't able to make it to Idaho City. I was looking forward to meeting you both and helping out as much as I could. Good luck to you.

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
:( Sounds like a bunch of Shauvanistic/Politically Wrong BS to me. :think

Good luck and don't let them get away with this kind of crap! Got an e-mail addy for them ... I'll give them an OPINION to think about.:p

wrench

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Nicole, if you post their email addy, I'll send an email - how the heck can a woman on the other side of the world know about something but not their own members (yes, I realise it's due to this site and the fact I'm someone who likes to try & keep up with what's happening where with dirtbikes). We have probably about 100 female members here, about 6000 guys, and as we talk to the guys (I guess we do?) they'd mention it to anyone who they'd think might be interested in going/competing. Unfortunately the standard isn't there yet for more women to enter (don't flame me, I know there are probably other women out there who just can't afford to go or have other reasons, but we have to accept the fact that women are still the minority in dirtbiking and will be for years to come).

I'm sorry that their excuse doesn't wash with me, just because there were only 3 LOI's doesn't mean that only 3 women knew about it - that's just BS. Don't let them get away with it, we'll help anyway we can. Seeing you three out there this year may well encourage others to attempt it next year onwards (and start training now).

Also, don't forget to let us know about the t-shirts when you find out the details. Good luck, and thanks for keeping us informed, just wish we could do more to help.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Nicole, thanks for keeping us posted. If the AMA really wants to encourage women to try out for these qualifiers, they should endorse this effort on good faith. Reneging on their promise will just put a sour taste in everyone's mouth when next year rolls around.
(Never mind the fact that you already have tickets in hand!)

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
I agree with Lori on this one. It definately doesn't encourage future participation by women riders for the AMA to take this position. They said they would send a womens team and now they want to back track. NO WAY!! The qualifiers were advertised. Suzy, Amanda and Nicole rode the races and should be given the opportunity to go. Come on, they are even paying their own way. Someone tell me "What's the problem?". Seems like a no brainer to me.

Post an e-mail address, I'll give them my opinion. They may not want it but I'll give it anyway. :) :)

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
Girlrider: Is there anything more we can do right now to help you gals out, such as flood the AMA Board Members with letters of support?

I remember reading about how "the pink lady" -- please forgive me for not remembering her name right now -- had to fight to compete in an enduro many years ago. What she did was write to all the men who were entered and asked if they objected to her riding against them. How could they say no to that one? And they didn't, either.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
I should know more today. I think that Hugh Flemming is on our side he just has to tell the other 3 board members that it is okay. I think he forgot to tell the rest of them when he told Suzy there would be a team. Now he has to cover his behind. He sent me an e-mail last night but there was no message attached. If we need to we will give you his e-mail address as well as all the board members and we will stir things up. Right now I think it will all work out. They sent out an e-mail with a revised rider list telling everyone that Destry Abbott has decided not to go and our 3 names were still on the list. You will be the first to know.

Leaping Lisa you need to change your signature to show your new bike. You tear it up girl and if next year you beat me in Nebraska I will know why.;)

Leapin Lisa

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 30, 2001
Girlrider: In my dreams I'll be able to beat you! I think the bike has some to do with it, but skill and experience is more of it and you've got a lot of years on me. Going to TTC will help me, but . . .

I'm going to train and work hard so I perhaps will attempt my first enduro next year, and I've been told that the Rocky Mountain Enduro Circuit is difficult compared to others such as the Minnesota circuit.

I'll keep my eyes glued to hear what happens with the ISDE!

Lisa
00 200 EC GasGas

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I hope everything works out for you three. I met Amanda's dad Randy at an enduro this spring and he said she was going to try and make it.

Attending the ISDE is a dream of most off-road racers that few ever attain.
Heck I'd like to just watch one!

Good luck. I know Lori and the rest of the DRN mods are going to help in any way we can!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Ladies, why stop at the AMA

Why not petition the FIM to add a womens class to the ISDE competition?

Good luck at the six-days!

Top Bottom