john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
I just got in from about 45 minutes ago, and guys (and gals) I gotta tell ya, this bike was absolutely amazing. The last time I had written and ridden was just about a month ago--it was only the 2nd time since buying my new KDX 200 in December. Yeah, I modified the air box, put a PC pipe and sure the bike felt better...but I just wasn't really connecting with the bike, if you know what I mean. The bike literally wore me out with the wishy-washy front end and the throttle response was kinda buwaaah!!! The bike didn't foul plugs, it just didn't run clean. Well, I've read it before and experienced it with hopping cars..."you can have all the power in the world, but if you can't put it too the ground, then what's the use!" And so, I replaced the stock forks with FRP .40 (with 10wt oil, 15 clicks out), added an FRP torque ring, changed my oil/gas ratio from 32:1 to 52:1, put in a factory plug (8), dialed in the idle/airsrew for a little better throttle response and even though there was no one to ride with today, damnit this bike was, as we say, in the military--TRACKIN'!!...The biggest improvemnt to me was the front end...I hit ruts that would've thrown me off the bike the last time...With the FRP fork springs it was honestly like I was riding a completely different bike--The difference IMO is that real...The feeling like my arm were going to fall was gone. Changing the ratio and plug, adding the torque ring and most importantly dialing in the throttle response made a tremendous in the performance department. I've read where riders in this forum will say that there bike will wheelie in the first 3 gears...Believe it, when you dial the suspension and engine on this bike, it is simply amazing. I had read this forum for several months before buying a KDX and also before registering and finally subscribing...and all I want to say is thanks to all of you--especially CD, CC, Fred T...this site is invaluable. I say to all of you newbies who come aboard, read as many posts as you can before asking your quetions, chance are it's been asked and before. And please make you read the JUSTKDX site, again another very important part of the puzzle. And man, if you haven't done it already, make sure you dial in the front end...It will really make your ride much more enjoyable, and trust me you can ride a whole last faster when you don't worry or think about the front end. Well, I've said it enough...This is a great forum!!...KDX 200--A great bike that just got better!!

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Oh yeah, last but not least, I gotta give big props to Jeff Fredette and his awesme FRP products. Whew, man, it's been a good day!!

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
My weekend was a similar ZEN like experience.... first ride on my new springs and new PC pipe. Dialed in the carb and it ran and rode like a banshee! What a difference! I hear ya John.... I hear ya!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Glad you like it.....but there's more to it than that, even. As time goes on and more changes are made here'n there, you'll be surprised at the number of times you'll think, 'Man! It's never been this good!'

re: your front end comments.

A couple of clicks can be the difference between stink and super.

Now then....... there are needle changes (to a 'C' profile), carb mods and some reeds that work that need doin'!

Thanks for the post!

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Rethnal, Did you notice a big difference with the PC pipe? I am thinking about getting one.

Did it give more from bottom to top? Please explain what parts of the powerband it enhanced and how much in each range.

I just ordered the .40kg springs from Fredette. I weigh 205 lbs. I hope I made the right choice.

john hubbard, I'm glad to hear yours is running so good! I hope I can get more out of mine now. I'm ready.

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
CC, I'll take your word for it...I'm going with the reeds next!!

Rethnal, good to hear from you--glad to hear you had the Kawasaki "Good Times" experience too!

Jackpiner57, thanks for the kudos..I don't think you can wrong with the mod's you have in mind.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I went with the PC 'cause of the FIT issue. I don't have time for the problems associated with the FMF pipe....even though I am looking for the best performance I can get. But...don't sell the PC pipe short. A BIG performance boost from lows to mid and a little more on the top! I am very happy with the PC plpe, but jetting was the key.... next is the DeltaForce II reeds and RB carb mod.... that would be the bomb!:)

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
This is old hat...but don't overlook the reed tension settings on the DFII reed block. They come set to 'hi', and the literature says that that setting has been tested to be the best in most every application.

But it seems they didn't test any green woods predators, cuz the 'lo' setting is absolutely a better setup for single track woods applicaitons....(sez me).

In case you missed it in earlier rants of mine concerning the DFII, it is the first time I've found a configuration that allows use of the -30 in the woods. I've tried it several times before and just could not get any acceptable bottom end out of the rev pipe.

While the -35 would probably be even more pronounced, the -30 with the DFII set to 'lo' has more bottom end than the -35 without the DFII ever had. Just yesterday I was on an uphill section (irongate on john's peak if you ride there..generally called 'knuckle buster') that I had in the past generally used 2nd gear but I was at the top of third and wishing 4th wasn't so far away (ratio/number-wise). Granted, a large part of that was a retune of my JW mx-tech suspension..the bike just soaked up virtually everything.

..I digress (but it was a wonder!)

My reed 'history' btw includes the oem set (natch), the oem cage with boyesen power reeds and a radvalve. I never had carbon on the oem block.

Another btw..attached is a pic of the DFII with a 2-year old reed set. Look pretty good, 'eh? The boyesen radvalve after one year of use had reeds that were cracked, frayed, sprung and split. The brown looking corner is an artifact/reflection of some sort. There is NO delamination problem with the old (shown) reeds.

Notice the price drop of the radvalve in the past year? About $40! Hhhmmm...I wonder what the reason is for that?

Attachments

• dfii reeds.jpg
    dfii reeds.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
CC, I noticed that the screws are in a slotted hold down device.

It appears that the way it is shown, it would provide the low tension that you mentioned? And the other end of the slot would be high tension?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
That is correct.

Notice the bit of air gap on the trailing edge of the stop strip? When the stops are moved toward the upstream/rear, the stop 'cams' over such that the trailing edge puts pressure on the petals.

Attached is a pic of one of the reeds off my radvalve..in use one year. This isn't the worse of the two...and the pic doesn't do it justice..but you can see the disintegration of the edge.

Attachments

• radvalve reed.jpg
    radvalve reed.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 166

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Well, here's an opportunity for me to add my "Thanks" as well! I had been on the JustKDX site numerous times, but couldn't get to DRN. Netscape Navigator wouldn't work correctly. When I finally got "hooked up" last December, I was so excited about all the good info. that I pulled an ALL-NIGHTER reading old posts! Much more fun than studying all night in the college days! Canyncarvr, you guys just had TOO MUCH FUN with the RB jetting thread that hit the archives! Thanks for all you have added to this site (along with fishhead, acutemp, bRush, others). I am amazed at your consistently good info. and way of dealing with people.

I had wanted to pull up this old post and add to it...

<http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=66048&perpage=20&display=&pagenumber=2>

...but being new to forums, didn't know if that was the appropriate way to do it, or whether I should start a new thread. I should have tried it - you probably would have let me know in some eloquent sort of way!

Canadian Dave - I have tried e-mailing you several times, but don't think it got through. The JustKDX site has an unbelievable amount of great info., so well done.

Thanks to all for making this KDX thing so much more fun!

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Ya, ditto!

Originally posted by James Dean in post 16 of 158
Again, the CEK is in the middle of the shotgun scatter I see here.

Its always cool to say you were a witness to excellence... :worship:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The RB carb was a bit of a PITA for a good while. There is some reason fredette gave up on it as being 'too picky to jet' (that comment attributed to him from someone that should know..it's not something I heard him say). I was sorry to see he chose that route.

re: witness to excellence

You bet! JD's input from the standpoint of understanding the theory and its application in the real world was of key significance. He's a sure shot with that shotgun of his, I'd say!

There is such a difference in riding a correctly set-up bike! It's more fun for sure...also more safe to a large degree.

The information is available to anyone that chooses to spend some time looking for it.

...although I don't know about spending an 'all-nighter' doing it. Some of us I'm sure are more avid about it than others! ;)

One man's eloquence is another man's clutter (a bit of a poke at one of the gods..ha!)

It's great to read something along the lines of:
...it was honestly like I was riding a completely different bike--The difference IMO is that real..

That's kind of the point, ain't it?

Cheers!

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
yes, CC that is the point for sure...had another interesting experience with the KDX 200 this weekend...did some local riding with a couple of guys i met on the trail...one of them happened to be riding a 2002 honda cr 250 and he wanted to try my bike because he could see and hear that this bike was really strong--it was "money" for sure!...well he rode my bike and i road his...he was truly impressed with the engine and suspension on my bike...but i really wasn't impressed with his 250...it's a good looking and lightweight...but i couldn't "connect" on that bike...it was running terrilby rich and blubbering all over the place...he had just re-sleeved it and said he was breaking it in...still, i wasn't truly impressed with it all...point is, the KDX, as stated numerous times on this forum can be made to "fit" you...the aftermarket good are great investment...more importantly, i was always believe that it is the rider and not the bike that makes "you"...i don't get into talking who's bike is faster in a drag race etc...etc...the key is being able to optimally utilize the power that you have already....i'm all about technique when it comes to riding...Good technique+ properly set up bike=Good (better/faster) riding...and that, my compadre, is always a great recipe for success...Thanks again, John

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah...but he liked yours right off!

I agree the 'connection' and comfort part are a big deal. That technique and skill will get you all sorts of places that a super-d-duper bike won't (without the former).

I can vouch for the latter! ;)

putt-putt-putt

Rich Graham

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2002
Great post on the reeds!! 97 200. I have made just about all the proper mods, except for the reeds and the carb. Briefly: FMF K-35/TCII(it fit absolutely perfect BTW),607s(for now),FRP porting,TwinAir(lid tossed). I've had it out three times. Compared to stock it's not the same bike. This thing has nuts now! Jet sets are on the way. Can't wait to dial it in. I'm patiently absorbing info on the RB carb and DFII. This is an awesome forum and a great bike. Thankx all!!!!!!

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Not that I can keep up with the big dogs, but...
most anytime someone takes my 'almost 13 year old bike' for try, they say its like 'Going Home'... :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom