The best KDX I ever owned....

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
My bike woudl not compare to todays model. Still, it was th ebest motorcycle I ever owned. I tnever broke down. Never needed service. Nothing.

It was a 1981 KDX 175 that had been fitted with full KX 125 suspension. The chassis was identical on both bikes. It was as light as the kx. I was stupid to ever sell this bike. I paid 600 bucks for it. I bought it used with 124 miles on it.

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
I picked up this 1980 beauty http://www.nyriders.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=573a little over a month ago, since this pic I have put new:

Tires
Fork Boots
Chain/Sprockets/Rollers
Fender Bag
Hand Guards
Levers
Grips
Reeds

I gotta take a pic of it with all the new stuff on it but I am too busy riding it. :) Its a great bike and its really making me think about getting a new KDX. :clue:

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
Well, I am going to try to have the best of both worlds. I have some stuff I have been meaning to E-b-a-y off and I think that if I can do that and sell my current KDX for at least what I paid for it I should be able to get a new KDX by the spring. Don't get me wrong, I love my KDX 175 but it is almost 25 years old. :ohmy: All I really want from it is a little more power and some stiffer suspention, and I think a new KDX will fit that bill just fine.

Sorry, I just realized that this is a total thread hijack :bang:

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
I had an 82 and just sold it a couple months ago. I feel the same way, that thing was as reliable as an anvil. I mostly got tired of not being able to find accesories for it, so drank the Kool-Aid and bought a new one. The '04 is nice, but I'm still getting used to it. My old one just seemed more comfy and easy to take care of. Kinda wish I had kept it now, I like the power and suspension of the new bike, but the old one would be a great loaner bike.

Mike.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
A four wheeler would have been way smarter than what I traded for.

I ended up with a 1982 YZ 490. The bike was heavily discounted. This should have been clue number one.

The power was horrible. Very powerful, but the powerband was a short as most 125's .

The chassis was a joke. The rear suspension only mived 3-4 inches. The bike was overweight as well. Vibration limited the riding on the bike to 15-20 minutes at a time.

By the end, I would have gladly traded this YZ for a KDX 80. It was the worst pile of garbage I ever owned.]

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
I bought a 1981 kdx 175 a few years ago for 650 bucks, yes, I know a little steep. But the thing was in awsome condition. Its a great bullet proof trail bike. I want to buy some plastics for is but I can't find anything like you guys said. Any ideas were i could find some kawasaki doesn't even make it any more.............sigh.

Deputy25

Jul 27, 2004
Best one I ever owned was (is) my 91 KDX 250. Of course, it's the only KDX I've ever owned (so far).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…