Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
I too have been through that Brian. It's tough. I remember at the time I immediately canceled all subscriptions, cable tv and the like until I could get a handle on how to handle expenses... I had some cash set aside at the time that helped me through it.

Initially, I was pretty cocky that I would flip a job pretty easily having a newly minted MBA degree but it was the early 90's and we were in a mini recession. What I learned however was that you have to keep following up on leads, learn to network with friends (let everyone you know, your wife knows and anyone else that you have a terrific skill set that you want to apply to a new organization)... you can't stop looking, and as corny as it sounds, you have to make your job search a full time job. Unfortunately I didn't do this initially, and wasted a lot of time expecting a job to magically appear.

As the other members have clearly pointed out, it is a time to pursue better opportunities. And sometimes the opportunities are disguised... I eventually accepted a good (more junior) job that paid less money, which was initially disappointing, but was a springboard to me eventually becoming president of a multi-million dollar company (small millions mind you)... at the time I never would have expected that! Subsequently I've been able to take positions that I really want to do.

So chin up and make it happen! You sound like the type of person who will do that.

Last edited:

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
So sorry to hear that! I do agree with the lemonade theory.

Best wishes to you in finding a job that lets you keep growing for the rest of your life.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Update: I've been doing some part-time work for a small locksmith shop. They want me to go full time but can only pay 2/3's the wages with no benefits compared to my last job. However, today, I dropped off a resume with a local alarm company and was offered the job on the spot. I set up a time on Tuesday after a Dr.'s appt. to talk the nitty gritty. Looks promising. I know several people that work there. There employment ad looked just like my resume(qualifications and experience). If we hammer out benefits, pay, and of course, paid time of for DW2K4!, I'll be a full time taxpayer again.
PS: DaddySwift is having his heart pictures(the procedure) done next Wednesday. Should go well and will likely head off a second bypass surgery. Thanks in advance for your prayers!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
That sounds great Brian! Good luck with the new prospect. :thumb: I hope your dad's appointment goes well this week.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
WooHoo! The "H" word! $4K/yr more than I made @ the last job. DW2K4 maybe in jepordy though. Still negotiating but I start Monday. :):yeehaw:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Congratulations! Glad to see that there’s at least one company out there that hasn’t taken all the jobs to India.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Congratulations Brian!!! Hopefully they'll let you have that one week. :thumb:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks all! I've been working for 13 days and it feels good to get a pay check.

Top Bottom